We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

Hi

Does anyone have any information on the best value for money options on renting a car for 6 months. We are uk residents who have a place in Sarasota and up until now only visit for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and use the usual car rentql names on tpa international airport but now we are planning a 6 month stay and thought there maybe a more cost effective way of renting a car but we need all the usual insurances and won't have florida driving licences. Any advice welcomed

Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

My friends in your position bought a car, as it was cheaper long term. But to get a good price on insurance you'd have to get a FL license like they did.

There are two ways to do it as far as I can see. Go to a dealer and inquire about renting one of their used cars, but again insurance could be an Issue. The only other way is to rent a car a month at a time- the rental cos will have you go back one a month to fill out new paperwork.

I have yet to be able to go more than 3+ weeks, so this for me will come up in 5 years time probably. Let me know what you end up doing.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

There is a rental company on Osprey Ave. called Practical Car Rental...they have a website and might be less expensive.

http://www.practicalcar.com/

~SRQgirl.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

You can also check with Budget, Enterprise and other car rental companies..not sure about Priceline...

~SRQgirl

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

We hire a car every December for 8 weeks with no problem....usually around £950.

Have used Alamo/ Budget/ Dollar usually through ie .usrentacar or floridacarhire.

Sometimes we get an individual agent at the desk who doesnt know how to process the long rental but always resolved. Never any need to return after 4 weeks

5. Re: Long term car rental for UK residents driving on UK licences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 04, 2014