We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental to fish on beach

Which Sarasota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
237 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Rental to fish on beach

We are staying in Naples for two months and would like to spend two weeks in Sarasota. My husband wants to be able to fish from the beach which he does in Naples. Any recommendations on a NICE neighborhood with rentals on or very close to the beach?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Sarasota/Siesta Key is not the same as Naples..There are places to rent on the Bay (no beach) and there are places to rent on Siesta Key (which is a barrier island).

What type of property are you looking for and how much do you want to spend per week? number of bedrooms? Whe do you plan to visit?

Bay or Gulf?

~SRQgirl

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Guess I forgot some vital information! I would like two bedrooms in March and would spend up to $2500/week. Either bay or gulf, I'm not sure which is better for fishing. We're in our late 60's and like quiet, but great high end dining and shopping close by is a must.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental to fish on beach

March is a very busy time here..Spring Break. Although it isn't a wild crowd, there will be many families with children. There are some properties that might work. High end dining is limited on Siesta but plentiful in Sarasota. Just a bridge away.

If you like "quiet" and upscale, I am wondering if Longboat Key might not be a better fit for you.

St. Armands Circle has upscale dining and shopping. Are you familiar with Longboat?

JMHO, but Naples has an over abundance of high end properties and high end shopping/dining. I am very familiar with the area. It is also much more commercialized vs. Siesta Key/Longboat/Sarasota.

As far as fishing, I would ask your husband what type of fishing he would prefer.

There are many fish to be caught in Sarasota Bay. If you stay on the Bay side you can fish off docks etc.

Many visitors also fish the Gulf from the beach...

Siesta Key is a wonderful place to stay with the best beaches in the U.S. Naples does not compare.

The high end on Siesta Key is the Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort (condos)..not full service..2/2 units.

The Crescent Siesta Key is also upscale.

You can fish anywhere on the beach...I prefer Turtle Beach (south end of Siesta Key) but the sand quality is not the same as Crescent Beach or Siesta Key Beach..

I guess the question becomes what are your priorities? High end dining/upscale lodging? fishing/top beach destination? Does the shopping/dining have to be in walking distance from the condo?

www.sarasotafl.org

www.siestakeychamber.com

~SRQgirl

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Thanks for the reply. My husband has been a fly fisherman all his life, but doesn't use a fly rod from the beach (I'm not all that familiar with what he uses). He doesn't like fishing from a pier. We've driven to Longboat to check it out and it seemed nice but St. Armands was a zoo(!), but probably no worse than 5th Ave. Naples. We're doing this to experiment with different areas since we've rented in Olde Naples for the past 4 years and thought we would try somewhere different. If we like the area, maybe we would spend two months in Sarasota instead of Naples the following year. No -- shopping/dining don't have to be walking distance...up to a 15-20 minute car ride is fine. I've looked at the Hyatt Siesta and Crescent online and they both look great. I should mention that we do not like Marco Island (only beach and condos) and if you would compare Siesta or Longboat to Marco, then we could eliminate them right away.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Neither are anything like Marco! Marco is a concrete jungle.

I lived in Naples in 1971 and Marco was undeveloped back then.. there was 1 condo building and lots of sand fleas!

It has changed dramatically, needless to say.

Longboat is more upscale and manicured at the southern end. Many fine dining places..There is a separate forum so you can read reviews.. Perhaps you would prefer that..many nice places to stay...closer to downtown Sarasota and St. Armands.

I would highly recommend the Hyatt or The Crescent Siesta Key...there are others...

both are in walking distance to Crescent Plaza (some dining/shopping). Both will have a nice clientele.

The Hyatt has cocktail service and continental breakfasts..if that matters. You can read reviews on the Siesta Key TA page..you can also type the names of places in the "search" box.

Anything you could want as far as shopping/dining is about 20 minutes away..give or take. It wil be a zoo in March no matter where you are in SW Florida...dinner reservations are a must.

You can send me a PM if you want more specifics.

~SRQgirl

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Looks like both properties you recommend are booked in March. Thanks for the offer to PM. I might just do that!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Another nice condo is Crystal Sands...

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Some places on Longboat:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34399-c3-Longboat_Ke…

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Longboat would have the least crowds in our area, and also an older demographic. Definitely no Spring Breakers. You might want to check several local realtors who offer properties there -- Michael Saunders and Wagner Realty. I would highly recommend four places. Veranda Beach Club is a small condo directly on the beach; Harbor Villa Club are Bermuda-like cottages, with two nice units on the beach; Sea Club III is a small condo directly on the beach; Harbour Villa Club is a small enclave on the Bay side. There's a fifth place that might work as well: Gulf Tides (handled by vacationfla.com); but I would use only what they call their "penthouse units". These are in a building directly on the beach and separate from their main building.

As for restaurant opportunities, within a 10-minute drive of any of the above are three very outstanding restaurants on Longboat: Euphemia Haye, Harry's Continental Kitchens and Pattigeorge's. Check out their menus on the web and that might persuade you! There are many other places to eat on Longboat but these are my favorites. Incidentally, there is a large new Publix grocery store on Longboat so you won't have to go off-island to shop for groceries.

Fishing in the Gulf will be easy; the beach won't be overly crowded. There are also a few places where you can fish in the Bay, though nearby mangroves/bushes might snag a line occasionally. For another approach, your husband might want to rent a small boat from Cannons Marina for a few days and try his luck from there.

Edited: 3:46 pm, July 07, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
237 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental to fish on beach

Thanks for all the great sounding options. I'll be "googling" all night!