We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sarasota vs. venice

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
sarasota vs. venice

These forums are so helpful!! I am heading to Florida for 10 days in November and am tentatively booked at two different hotels and am looking for help choosing areas. So far, I am booked at the Hampton Inn on Venetia Bay Blvd in Venice as well as the Hampton Inn on Cattleridge Blvd in Sarasota. We will be renting a car (a convertible, of course, extra sun time!!) so getting around will not be a problem. Venice looks like a prettier area, but I want to be close to beaches, shopping, and other things to do during my stay. We plan on going to Myakka State Park, Mote Aquarium, Marie Selby, Ringling Museum, and anything else that comes up!! Also, lots of shopping and beach time. If I stay in Venice, how far away from Sarasota will I be by car and should I reconsider the other Hampton?? Thanks for any advice!!

illinois
Level Contributor
393 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sarasota vs. venice

Hey Luna Girl:

First of all, don't even consider Venice, if you are doing all those fun things - they are all closer to Sarasota.

Second, I would skip the Hampton Inn. It is about 6 miles to the beach ( I believe). You could most likely get a 1 br condo on Siesta Key for about the same price either on the beach or very close to it.

You can look online for several rental places.

You could go to Venice for the day one day, hit Sharkeys at the pier, and shop a bit. But Saratota and Siesta Key have much more to offer, and I think you will enjoy the relaxing atmosphere more.

Let me know if you want any condo suggestions!

C

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sarasota vs. venice

If staying on the beach is not in your budget, there are places tostay a lot closer than the ones you are looking at.

What were you using for reference material when you chose these?

Much better suggestions right here at TA.

~SRQgirl

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sarasota vs. venice

Thx for your replies. Honestly, my motivation in booking Hamptons is that I work for the Hilton chain and can get a REALLY good rate there. So unless I can get something decent and close to the beach for under $300 for the week, I kind of have to stay at a Hampton. I stayed at one in Clearwater last year and found it clean, comfortable and quiet except for the a.m. construction every day. I don't spend much time in the hotel anyway, just sleeping and showering. Money is not really an issue but I do prefer to splurge on things like renting a convertible, good restaurants and other things to do and lots of shopping! By the way, where is the good shopping in the area?? I am bringing an empty suitcase this year....

Would the Hampton in Sarasota be that far of a drive to the beach? Siestaclaud thinks about six miles, which doesn't seem too bad, maybe 10 minutes or so? What is the parking situation at the beaches?

Sounds like Venice might be a bit too far away from everything I plan on doing. I think I was attracted to it because the beaches there seem much quieter, which I prefer. I know a lot of people are recommending Siesta Key, which we will definitely check out, but it does sound like a busier beach than what I would want for the whole week. After working in tourism all year, I kind of like to get away from it all!! Any suggestions on things to do are greatly appreciated! Thx again!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sarasota vs. venice

The Hampton on Cattleridge is more than 6 miles to the beach.

If you look at a map its near Bee Ridge Rd. and I-75. I'd doubt you're going to get a hotel on the beach for $300/week during the month of November.

You would not be extremely far from Myakka Park which is a really nice place for wildlife. It also has a boat ride called the Gator Gal that goes out lookin for gators, etc. You can also rent a canoe or a bike etc.

Turtle Beach is quiet on Siesta Key.

If you stayed in Venice, you'd be commuting to Sarasota everyday to see the things on your list.

Shopping is upscale on St. Armand's Circle on Lido Key.

Sidewalk cafes etc. Enjoy.

~SRQgirl

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sarasota vs. venice

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

i definitely don't think the hampton on cattleridge is a nice location. its not bad--i lie minutes from there, but its not vacation-y. and i would leave a half hour to get to the beach. you are not wrong about venice being quieter and less crowded, but if you are coming in early november, it will not be too crowded in sarasota either. are you sure you want to commit to either of those two hotels?

you are aware that it gets cool in the winter here? you wouldnt catch me swimming in november!

there is a brand new homewood suites (is that ahilton?) on fruitville road, in sarasota, which looks nice. its closer to downtown, and to longboat/lido keys (beaches, shopping, restaurants).

good luck!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sarasota vs. venice

Thanks for all the info guys! Lemstar, great tip about the new Homewood, I just booked there instead. It looks beautiful, is it in a busy area? Did I just luck out last November with weather? When I was in Clearwater, it was 75-80 degrees and sunny everyday and the Gulf was nice and warm for swimming. Of course, I am a crazy Canadian!!! November up here is 40-50 degrees....

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sarasota vs. venice

the new homewood suites is near some fast food places, a k-mart, a supermarket, and just a couple of miles from downtown sarasota, and then to longboat key.

its on a busy road, and not really tourist-y there, but its better than the hampton on cattleridge!

have fun!

Florida
Level Contributor
792 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sarasota vs. venice

Lunagirl, smiled at your comment about "touristy". Florida= touristy. Siesta Key and Longboat key have the nicest beaches in the area. You can drive alittle north to Bradenton and Anna Maria Island beaches. For a casual seafood lunch near Siesta try Captain Curts. And remember to relax and enjoy your trip, too many people try to do everything in a short period of time. Enjoy...

Stinky New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sarasota vs. venice

luna...there is a Hilton in Longboat Key. It's right on the beach...a lovely beach if you can get a discount, I paid less than two hundred a night a few years ago.

Also had a house on Venice Island. There is'nt too much to do there but YES the beaches are really really nice. The drive to Sarasota from Venice was'nt that bad. I would recommend you see the beaches in Venice Island. Look for some sharks teeth too!

Your TA Pal

Futzy....check out the Venice web page.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sarasota vs. venice

LBK is a pricey place to stay. (She wants something for $300 per week not per day.)

Even though November isn't as crowded as February,

the traffic now from Venice to Sarasota is a lot heavier than it used to be during season.

Venice is a nice day trip for sure.

I also liked the suggestion of the lodging on Fruitville rather than Cattleridge. Much better location even if it's not exactly a quiet location.

~SRQgirl