We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Hello!

My wife and I will be staying at the Lido Beach Resort during the week of July 4th. I was wondering if any of the Sarasota experts can tell me what are my best options for viewing the Sarasota Bay fireworks display? We will have a rental car, but would prefer not to drive if I can avoid it. Are there any good locations with food/drink that are within walking distance of the Lido Beach Resort for viewing the fireworks?

Thanks!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

You will be on the Gulf side of Lido and the fireworks are shot off by the Marina Jack docks.

The Lido Beach Resort has a shuttle service to St. Armands..you could walk from there to an area east of the Circle and watch. How far are you willing to walk?

~SRQgirl

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Hello SRQgirl,

Thanks for the info. I guess we would be willing to walk a mile or so if we had to. Would your suggestion be to leave the rental car at the hotel and not even attempt to drive on the 4th?

Thanks,

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

The traffic will be very heavy downtown. The party starts early. Many people set up chairs in the afternoon at the area around Marina Jacks and the bayfront park.

Not sure how the traffic will be on Lido other than people driving to Sarasota.

You could drive your car to St. Armands and start walking east until you have a clear view of the Bay.

escape-to-sarasota.com/sarasota-fourth-of-ju…

~SRQgirl

Edited: 2:40 pm, June 18, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Hello again, and thanks for the link.

Would you happen to know if there are any restaurants/bars that would be east of St. Armands near the Bay for viewing?

If we were to drive over to the Bay Front Park early, when would be a good time to head over? I imagine the traffic leaving after the fireworks back to Lido would be a nightmare. Is there anything to do after the fireworks while we wait for the traffic to clear? Suggestions?

Thanks,

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

I would suggest you look at a map of St. Armands..as you go east (towards Sarasota) it is all residential.

There is a small bridge and then the large Ringling Bridge which leads into the area of the fireworks.

The party starts early, as I said.

Yes, you could drive over early (afternoon). Many others will be doing the same..Yes, you could wait for the traffic to die down in one of many restuarants/bars. Bear in mind the fireworks don't start until 9 PM.

Yes, there will be traffic going back to Lido/Longboat but the majority of the population/traffic will be on the mainland. There will also be fireworks on Siesta Key.

It all depends on how much you feel like dealing with crowds and traffic. It's a great display and lots of places to have fun downtown.

~SRQgirl

Longboat Key has a more seasonal population...October-April..

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Here is an article from 2011 that still applies...

…patch.com/groups/around-town/p/best-places-…

Bird Key Park and Hart's Landing have small parking areas...no restaurants/bars

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

While you are visiting, other things going on:

http://www.suncoastoffshore.org/events.php

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

You could also buy tickets and watch the fireworks from Selby Gardens:

http://www.selby.org/events/tropical-4th-july

~SRQgirl

Edited: 3:50 pm, June 18, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Hello SRQgirl!

Thank you very much for the links and information. Very, very helpful. We now just need to make a decision on what's best.

I did read about the Off Shore racing while we're down there. Something I might have to check out.

Thanks again,

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarasota Bay - 4th of July Fireworks

Thanks, SRQGirl. I was just coming on here to ask the same question. We'll be at the Hyatt Regency. Would be able to see the fireworks from there? It would be nice not to have to drive. If not, I love the Selby Gardens idea.