We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

Which Sarasota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
1 post
Save Topic
Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

My boyfriend and I are flying down to visit a friend in Wimauma in February and are planning to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights around Valentine's Day . We are debating whether to stay at Lido Beach (Gulf Beach Motel) or St. Pete Beach (Beachcomber Beach Resort). Can anyone help me figure out which would be the better area and easiest to get to from Wimauma? We do like to get out but don't really want a crowded party atmosphere. Thanks so much!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

From Wimauma to either of those places ... probably even steven. Lido Beach would be quieter than St. Pete and has the walkable shopping area called St. Armands Circle probably half mile from Gulf Beach Motel.

I haven't been in GBM but seen it from the outside - looks ok. We've stayed next door at Suntide for the last 3 years and really like the beach area there.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

The Beachcomber Resort may not be for you. It is home to a very popular, busy beach bar called Jimmy B's, which has live music daily and draws crowds from other resorts as well as locals. It is a very fun spot if you are into it, but if you are looking for peace and quiet, it might try your patience, as you have to walk past the crowds to access the beach.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

The Gulf Beach used to be a hell hole. I don't know if they have made any improvements in recent years or not. Both areas are nice. St Pete Beach (no 'S) is more built-up than Lido Beach. In Lido, you will likely have to walk a little further to get something to eat or drink. Check the distance from whatever hotel you choose to St Armands Circle.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

You could also look at the Holiday Inn Lido which is across the street from the beach and is a short walk to St. Armands Circle.

~SRQgirl

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

IMHO St Pete Beach would probably suit you better as it has quite a lively atmosphere without being over the top. It is very quiet on Lido Key although you do have the shops and restaurants at St Armand's Circle.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

I agree with the negative comment about Gulf Beach Motel, and much prefer either Suntide or Coquina on the Beach.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

And I like St pete beach, but prefer Lido key.

8. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:11 am, March 01, 2015
9. Re: Lido Beach or St. Pete's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 29, 2014