We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide

Marblehead
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Red Tide

Has anybody heard a forecast of what the red tide will do? We're planning a trip in late February, and both my husband and I have respiratory problems. I see that the red tide count is high in Venice and medium high in Sarasota. Wondering whether to cancel our trip. Anybody have advice?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide

this is the website to see the latest sampling research:

http://myfwc.com/media/2464349/SWmap1228.pdf

myfwc.com/media/2464352/SWtable1228.pdf

No one knows now what the situation will be by then, but it usually goes away in winter at some point.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide

There is a large "bloom" offshore that has been lingering for several months. The winds and waves have kept it away from our area, though it has caused some problems with fish kills south of here, periodically touching places such as Venice, Port Charlotte, and Englewood Beach. Unfortunately this is something that no one can really forecast accurately as to how long the "bloom" will last or where it will go. It's something to continue to monitor.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Port Charlotte
Port Charlotte
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide

My two cents: i had lunch at Sharkeys on the beach in Venice and everyone was having a good time just two days ago. I had coffee a few minutes ago in downtown Venice and everyone was enjoying Venice. There are tons of boats coming and going. I am not sure thay you will even know there is a red tide at sea

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marblehead
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide

That makes me feel better. I was in Sanibel during the 2005 red tide, and even completely healthy people were gasping and choking.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide

Red tide is here. We have a large fish kill on Siesta Key. You can smell it in the Village. I work in the Village. When our door opens as a customer walks in we get a whiff of it. Hopefully it will move out after this cold front moves thru. I have seen red tide last anywhere from 2 weeks to several months. I would call your accommodations agent and ask if red tide is part of their no penalty cancellation policy. I hope for you and us that it will be gone soon. You may want to check out www.mysuncoast.com that is our local news website. They have an app but it is not always up to date especially on the weekends. Good Luck to all of us.

Mentioned in this post
Marblehead
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide

Thank you so much for your report. We'll have to assess our risks and either stick with our plan or make other ones.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Tide

Local news reports suggest that the Red Tide concentrations in our area, perhaps as evidenced by dead fish, are largest around Venice (Casperson Beach) and Siesta Key, with spotty reports on Lido and Anna Maria (I suspect, but don't know for sure, that Longboat might have some "spottiness" as well). The air did smell a bit strong (don't know how else to phrase it) two days ago and yesterday, but the cold front has come in, with a very strong wind and hopefully this will shift everything away.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marblehead
Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Tide

Thank you for the update. Please do keep us informed. I'm still hoping all this will disappear. We so want to keep our plans.

New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Tide

Lots of dead fish Tuesday on Bonita Beach but none on Wednesday.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Tide

Dead fish in the waterway in Venice yesterday

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL