We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Hey Everyone

Just booked Lido Beach Resort for family getaway in mid August

Looks like a nice place with reasonable reviews

I chose a beachfront junior suite in the new tower building on a high floor

We plan to rent a car at the airport, flying into sarasota/braedeton

plan to spend lazy days on the beach and at the pool with our 2 small kids 8 and 4

plan to eat out a few nights

any casual kids friendly places with good food??

plan to go to Mote marine center and take the pontoon boat ride, with hands on marine educational experience for the kids

any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

any fun activities or dining experiences would be appreciated!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

If you do go up on Longboat, Harry's (a super gourmet restaurant) has an adjacent store where they sell their prepared food for you to take back to your hotel/condo to reheat and eat there. Of course, Publix will also have precooked meals to purchase as well.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

I feel i must echo SRQ about the heat and humidity. Go to the beach early and late..have naps and indoor activities ie movies in the middle of the day or do shopping.

Also be sure you understand the hurricane refund policy and or have travel insurance

NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

these are great suggestions and much appreciated!

but now I'm left wondering if I should change the dates we are going ??

Would it make much difference if we went in July?

Or would we still be facing similar weather? i know it will still technically be hurricane season but

maybe less likely??

We are going to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but it would be ok if we went earlier

ty!!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

Very similar weather in July compared to mid August.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

July is also hot and humid...a slight difference, but not much vs. August. 4th of July is crowded.

There have been some years where it was hotter in the Northeast than FL..not to mention you've had a hurricane or 2 in NY. No one can predict these things months in advance.

Visit when it is the most convenient.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

If you check the NOAA records, you'll see that you're much less likely to get a hurricane earlier in the season (which runs from about May through November). They say that about 12% of all tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico typically pop up in July, 27% in August, 31% in September and 18% in October. September is typically the "busiest" months for storms.

But keep in mind, though, that you're dealing with VERY low numbers. It's impossible to predict the future, and I don't mean to minimize the damage that one hurricane or tropical storm can do, but there aren't that many that occur in this area. In all of Florida, only 1 tropical storm hit Florida in 2008, only 1 in 2009, only 1 in 2010, only 1 in 2011 -- and NO hurricanes. This year, 2 tropical storms hit (Debby is one that affected us directly). Also this year, Hurricane Isaac threatened this area for about a week but ended up actually making landfall in Mississippi. It's important to be alert to the threat of hurricanes and tropical storms, but I wouldn't obsess about them as you plan a vacation here sometime in the Summer or Fall months.

Edited: 2:44 pm, December 31, 2012
NY
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

right. I am extra sensitive to the idea of a Hurricaine these days, we are still recovering for the impact of Sandy here on Long Island.

So I am going to stick with my plan, I feel I got a good rate on jet blue for this time and we are celebrating our big 15 year anniversary !

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and advice

much appreciated :)

Happy New Year to one and all!!!

18. Re: Lido Beach resort for family summer getaway!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 03, 2014