We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

I will be in Sarasota for the month of June with my nine year old daughter. I don't know exactly where our house is except that it's 15 minutes from Long Boat and 20 minutes from Siesta Key. I just started my quest for information and was wondering what are the absolute must dos for a mother/daughter duo? It doesn't seem that there are a lot of things for kids there ... can anyone give me suggestions? Thanks so much.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

There are lots of things to do here for a mother/daughter duo.

First, there is the beach on Siesta Key. Water is nice and the beach is like sugar. You could rent a Kayak, go fishing, and all kinds of water sports.

There are lots of wonderful parks to explore. Myakka Park has a tree canopy walk and an airboat ride to see alligators. Historic Spanish point in Osprey is a nature preserve with 5,000 years of history on Sarasota Bay.

There is Marie Selby Gardens, Mote Marine Aquarium (with boat ride)

Busch Gardens is an hour drive................and tons of day trips.

The list goes on and on.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

St. Armands Circle is a great place to shop and walk around.

It's off season so you can have a nice lunch and stroll around for hours.

The question is:

You have a month with your daughter; what would you like to do with her?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Thanks for the advice. We enjoy hanging out, swimming, etc. But I wanted more options than the pool and the beach for those days we feel like we want to explore. We will be touring the state a bit ... Tampa for a couple of days to visit friends, FLL for a day to visit family returning from a cruise, Boca to meet with business associates, and Jacksonville Beach to scout possible real estate. Then on the way home a stop in Orlando and Discovery Cove. So 10-12 days will be used doing all of that. I think when it's all said and done we'll appreciate our down time in Sarasota :)

But if there are any other places we simply must go else kick ourselves forever please let me know.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Have you ever been to Sarasota?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Nope. I spent a few months in Tampa about 16 years ago (gulp!) but never made it to Sarasota. I've heard it's pretty quiet, which is fine with me. But I would like to get out and do something on occasion while we're in town... I"m a little nervous about the heat, so a couple of indoor excursions might be nice :)

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Sarasota is not as quiet as it was even 10 years ago.

The heat is not as intense as it would be in July and August.

Since I see you're from Albuquerque, this might be considered cool. :-)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

That's good to hear. Yes, Albuquerque is HOT, but as the old joke goes, it's a dry heat. It drops 20 degrees in the shade, which is NOT the case in Florida :) ... are you in Sarasota? Are there any local happenings that we can take advantage of while we are there?

Thanks again for all of your help.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Yes, I live in Sarasota.

I was also once a single, businesswoman with a young daughter.

Iwill check the event calendar, which is published on Friday.

Since you will be on a road trip, there are lots of actvities and special places to see along the way.

Check out different venues on Tripadvisor.

What does your daughter enjoy doing?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

She enjoys computers. I enjoy sight seeing, and I drag her around in the process. I'm hoping to find something that will pique her interest as well as mine. She's a big fan of animals but I'm afraid it might be too hot to go to the zoo. I recall as a child going to a place called Monkey Island? We were visiting relatives in Homestead. Does that ring a bell?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,782 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarasota in June w/ 9yo dd

Sure it rings a bell. I lived in Miami for 15 years.

It was called Monkey Jungle, it was north of Homestead, but I'm not sure if it exists anymore. They had a lot of damage after Hurricane Andrew in 92.

However, the Miami Metro Zoo is one of my favorite places.

There is also the Miami Seaquarium (Key Biscayne), Parrot Jungle Island and Coconut Grove to wander around. Lots of options.

Don't worry about the heat..you live in Albuquerque. (dry heat but HOT)