We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two part question for locals

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Two part question for locals

Meeting up with family on Thanksgiving and need suggestions for restaurants that will be open but within five minutes of the interstate. Not looking to drive into the downtown area. Prefer non-chain places, but realize that might not be possible given we won't be able to nail down a specific time for a reservation and the holiday. I have looked on Google maps and have seen a few Denny's, Perkins, etc. but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

After dinner, we'd like to take a walk before everyone gets back in their cars for the long drive home. I see that Urfer Family Park at 4000 Honore is open until midnight. Is this in a safe area to be walking around after sunset?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two part question for locals

Are you driving up from Ft. Myers? Are you looking for the traditional Thanksgiving meal? What time are you planning to meet?

Another option is the University Pkwy exit. (Lakewood Ranch). lots of places off the Interstate.

www.dinesarasota.com

www.freshoriginals.com

Urfer park is safe.

~SRQgirl

Edited: 7:37 am, November 21, 2012
sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two part question for locals

I had the same thought as SRQgirl--check out Lakewood Ranch. Polo Grill is a nice restaurant, and they do holidays I think. Otherwise, maybe check out Brandon? Not an upscale area perse, but has lots of stuff. And yes, Urfer park is safe.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two part question for locals

Yes, driving up from Ft. Myers. A traditional meal/special menu is not necessary, but somewhere that has turkey on their regular menu will suffice. Not sure on the time and the other party is not usually punctual, but we'll probably be meeting in the evening. Was hoping to find something on Bee Ridge or Clark as that is more central and close to some parks we want to visit before and after the meal. Polo Grill looks nice but they stop serving at 5 pm. Thanks for the suggestions and confirmation on Urfer. Do you know if the one-mile fitness trail and playground are lit?

Edited: 9:08 am, November 21, 2012
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two part question for locals

You can contact the county about lights at Urfer. not sure.

https://www.scgov.net/Pages/default.aspx

Will check out hours of restaurnats at both exits..not sure how late they serve that day ..

Lakewood Ranch has many nice options 5 minutes form the I-75 exit.

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two part question for locals

Off Bee Ridge Rd. exit:

Miller's Ale House

Chili's

Madfish Grill

you will have to check hours.

~SRQgirl

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two part question for locals

Yeah, Lakewood Ranch is only two exits past Bee Ridge. There's Gecko's and Applebee's on Clark (meh). How about Trader Vics off Fruitville? Perkins has a turkey dinner, also off Fruitville. Bee Ridge has Chili's....

I vote for 4pm at Polo Grill.....lol....

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two part question for locals

I should clarify - I have called most of the places on Google Maps off those two exits. Perkins on Fruitville will be our back-up as they are open regular hours that day. Madfish and Ale House are closed. But I know Google doesn't always list every restaurant, so if you know of any that might not appear on their map, please let me know.

8. Re: Two part question for locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013