We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel Planning Committee

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Topic
Sanibel Planning Committee

The agenda for the Planning Committee is published. You can find it on www.mysanibel.com On the agenda is the second hearing for the changes needed to allow national chain stores on the island.

The current mayor is a real estate broker. This is likely part and parcel of plans to 'revitalize' Sanibel's retail business. With stores closing right and left, Sanibel, with a permanent population cannot sustain larger stores.

If you like the atmosphere as it is, and don't want a bunch of Starbuck's or Burger Kings, let the City Council, Planning Board and the mayor know how you feel.

"........TO ADD A NEW SECTION 126-102 FORMULA RETAIL STORES IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD COMMERCIAL DISTRICT THAT ESTABLISHES CONDITIONAL USE STANDARDS FOR FORMULA RETAIL STORES; ......"

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sanibel Planning Committee

Don't back off. It's the "grandma types" that can really get things done. Whats the word? Gravitas?!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sanibel Planning Committee

I have visited Sanibel several times and am hoping to buy here soon. Major chains have an unfair advantge over Mom and Pop places. Because of their buying power, they can buy things in bulk less expensively and sell less expensively. Also, a major chain can afford to undercut prices at a local business , taking a loss for a while, until the local business is driven out of business. Allowing large chain businesses in would surely drive locals out of business. I have seen this happen in Massachusetts where I live. I love Sanibel's little book stores, for example, and I'd hate to have to go to a Barnes and Noble because the local stores were gone. In terms of what visitors want, I know that Sanibel's uniqueness is part of what attracted me in the first place. When I talk to friends about the fact that I am looking at condos in Sanibel, I brag about the fact that Sanibel fought off McDonalds.

Hasn't anyone seen "You've Got Mail"?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sanibel Planning Committee

Me as well. I use it on all my promotional materiels- web sites, etc. It's a unique selling point for Sanibel. People want something different when they travel to a "paradise" location.

The only people in my opinion who might have a legitimate claim to feel otherwise might be the long term- full time residents who would benefit local lower prices and variety. But I don't think that many of them that are not connected to the tourism industry in some way are contributing to these forums...

14. Re: Sanibel Planning Committee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island