We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

virginia
Level Contributor
174 posts
912 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

Can anyone recommend a three bedroom place (condo, villa, etc.) for the weekend of June 22-24, 2007 (or possibly longer)?

It's for my 60th birthday. We want to be near or on the beach.

Thank you.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

All things considered, the most reliable place I can think of is Jensen's on Captiva. They do nightly rentals and have 1 3 bedroom unit. They also have some other configurations that might work for you. Just be aware, Jensen's is VERY popular and weekends rent out WAY in advance. Only downside - no pool. Location is awesome as are the sunsets. Walk to all the restaurants and to Jensen's marina and dock to fish or look for manatee's. Also catch water taxis to the out islands if you like.

Well below Jensen's in quality would be Castaways at Blind Pass. They have 1 3 bedroom unit bayfront with a short stroll across San-Cap Rd to the beach. They do have a pool there as well as a small marina.

Mitchell's Sandcastle's has some 3 bedroom units as well, but they are not as classy as Jensen's. On Sanibel on West Gulf.

There are 3 bedroom units up at South Seas Resort on Captiva available nightly. You'd have to contact then, but do look over their site on the net. It occupies the northern tip of Captiva, over 300 acres, and has everything from rooms to trophy homes. Some have minimum rentals. You should also check with Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. They may have a 3 bedroom cottage, I'm not sure. Just make sure it's been remodeled.

There is one house on Sanibel that rentas nights. Rainstorm may recall which it is. I remember it's on the East End sort adjacent to the grounds of a condo complex and it was grandfathered in when Sanibel went to a 28 min house rental.

Some places to start.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
virginia
Level Contributor
174 posts
912 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

Dear Tourmaline,

I was hoping that you'd respond since you are the Sanibel expert! I thank you for your quick AND thorough response. Thanks for taking the time to write all this.

So, Sanibel and Captiva Islands are really that special? More so than the Keys?!

Luke

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

I am an admitted Captiva fan myself and shifted from Sanibel to Captiva some 15 years ago. I did stay on Sanibel in 2004 just before Charley hit and of course I always spend a lot of time there when on Captiva.

Sanibel is a unique place. 65% is set aside by either the Federal government as Wildlife Refuge or as conservation lands held by the local conservation society, SCCF. Building heights were controlled for the start so you'll find no high rises and no stop lights or chain restaurants. It has so many positive things that I almost hate mention negatives, but a lot of folks have had nasty surprises these past 2 years.

Sanibel, Ft Myers Beach and to a lesser extent Lover's Key and Bonita Beach have suffered a recurring problem with red drift algae. This unpredictable and, while not the health hazard that red tide is, it is smelly, wrecks the beach when present in large quantity, and makes the water murky. Since it literally comes and goes with the tide, sometimes staying for many days in between, there's no way to know when or where the problem will happen. Just read the reviews and look at some recent posts from visitors. There's polar opposits depending on whether or not the beach was in good shape.

Captiva was hit hard with red tide, but has been mostly free from the red drift algae. The water is better shape and so is the beach. That's why I really suggested Captiva over Sanibel. Visit and play at the various places on Sanibel, but stay up on Captiva.

The islands are VERY different from the Keys. Each are great in their own way.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

I stayed at 4015 this past October and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. It is far more updated than mitchells and the service was outstanding! The properties are right next to each other on West Gulf drive, and managed by the same people, it is very private being in the residential area. My friends love the Blue Dolphin just down from there, it does not have a pool though. They both book up fast with repeat visitors which is always a good sign :)

5. Re: Sanibel or Captiva Lodging for 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 21, 2009