We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

wow!! Been doing some research, before booking my airfare, and I'm glad i did!

What's this about red-ride down on the island? Is it worth spending your whole vacation sick? I can't believe some of the reports I've been reading about this!

Any thoughts?

Georgette

Denver
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

Have you been to Sanibel before? Depending upon budget and what you seek, I'd suggest other spots in FLA before Sanibel. In the same area, I'd go to Bonita Springs, Ft Myers Beach or Naples before going back to Sanibel. If you seek an island experience, I'd suggest somewhere in the Keys.

I have been all over Florida and just can't recommend Sanibel. Fairly small island, lower density development, but during High season the traffic must be a nightmare. That was my impression and every local I spoke to said that the one main road on the island (only 2 lanes) is bumper to bumper traffic from 3pm till 7pm and its not much better other times of the day.

While Red Tide is a natural occurance, this part of the gulf is plagued by it worse than other areas. I admire the limits on development by all in all, the area has challenges that I have to believe will affect tourism.

We just returned. Had a nice time overall, but feel there is no reason to go back.

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

Thanks for the information.. We've been to Floriday before just never to the Gulf Side... We heard it was beautiful, so I started researching the area when we decided to come down there for the Thxgiving Day holiday. We'll be flying from NY and don't want to waste my 5 days there dealing with this red tide stuff.

I was then thinking Ft. Lauderdale beach area or Fort Meyers.

I have two children, age 15 and 3 1/2 .. I know they'll want to swim and do beach things, even if it's just digging and relaxing on it. I don't need to deal with a resp issue or just not able to walk along the beach on Sanibel with dead fish all over :((

We are sick and tired of doing the Disney stuff ... so any recommendations would be great. Weather might be a tuff call too during November, might not be able to swim even.

Thanks for the help!! apprecaite it :)

Georgette ;)

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

If you could you could email me at ge0rgette2@yahoo.com with any suggestions :) thanks!!

And my spelling up there ^^ I know how to spell Florida, minus the Y :) hehe

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

Georgette,

I'm in your same boat and just posted the same topic about Thanksgiving in Sanibel. We are flying into Tampa and were going to do the Disney thing, now rethinking that we'd like to have a more relaxing trip on the beach, just can't figure out where, and don't want to deal with red tide. We've had a vacation ruined by red tide and not being able to go in the water.

Good luck to you!

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

good luck 2u2 :))

If you find out anything, please email me at ge0rgette2@yahoo.com.

I'm thinking about the Bahamas now so I don't have to deal with this mess ;)

Georgette

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

Good luck to you -- Thanksgiving is now a month away. I'm not sure what we are going to do. Have you done Disney at Thanksgiving? How did it go?

Denver
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

geOrgette -

The gulf side IS beautiful. For what you described, I'd suggest the Hyatt Cocunut Point in Bonita Springs. We were in the area 10/7-10/15 and split the time between Sanibel and the Hyatt.

While the Hyatt is not beach front, they own a private island and have water taxi service (15 minute trip) where you can go and be beach front. The hotel itself os beautiful and has a sister Hyatt time share next to it. Between the two, there are 6 pools with a great water slide, lazy river, water fall pools, pool side service. etc. For hanging out in the sun, watching palm trees, swiming in the ocean, it was great.

The other spot is Naples. Very nice and mostly high end. My family (myslef, wife, and two daughter 9 & 5) stayed at The Regency (now a different name) 18 months ago and had a great time. The Naples Pier and beach is a better stretch of ocean and beach than anything I saw on Sanibel. I do like the gulf coast. I'd recommend the Hyatt or one of the resorts in the Naples area.

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

How long is the drive from Tampa Airport to Bonita Springs or Naples? Are the beaches warm enough to swim/sunbathe at Thanksgiving? Thank you!!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

The red tide and red drift algae has been an issues all up and down the Gulf coast this summer. Different areas are affected at different times, sometimes in a matter of a few days.

If you have serious concerns about red tide, go to the Keys. Understand, however, that it could jaut as easily be gone altogether in another week or so. There is some justifible paranoia about it, but it is all over the place. Those of us who have been watching all summer have seen every beach area affected at some point. Sanibel is hadly unique in that, just more vocal.

michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking and worrying about Sanibel over Thanksgiving

You"re right about the red tide being an issue all up and down the gulf at one time or another. The downside to the keys is its lack of beaches--not many and not very big. Sanibel is a place that draws familys because of the beach shelling and biking paths and 1/2 the island is a nature preserve. Plus without highrises the density is low. We have a place there and thanksgiving is not the high season.Either way--enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island