We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captiva/Sanibel Trip Report

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
445 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Captiva/Sanibel Trip Report

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day vacation in Captiva/Sanibel. We had a really nice time and do plan to return again!!

Here are the HIGHLIGHTS of our trip!!

Jensens on the Gulf - what a wonderful place to stay. We had the penthouse and had the most fabulous view. It was furnished very nice, was very clean and was right on the Gulf. It was as big as a condo with living room/dining room, bedroom, bathroom and hugh screened porch. Very friendly staff. I did a report on the hotel on this web site. We would highly recommend this lodging.

Jensens on the Marina - they also have cottages but we fished at this Marina and it was great. The brothers that own Jensens were very friendly and accomodating. We also saw Manatees by the Marina.

Restaurants that we liked - Green Flash was very good and had a nice atmosphere. We also liked the Bubble Room and on Sanibel liked the Island Cow. The Island Cow was reasonably priced and the food good. Also they have 3 Iguana's in a cage in the back of the restaurant. They are very fond of people. Amy's Over Easy had the most wonderful breakfasts. There Banana pancakes were fabulous.

Activities - we went on a tram tour of the JD Darling Reservation. This tour was done through Tarpon bay Explorers. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. It was quite informative and they explain to you what you are seeing. we saw alligators, very beautiful birds and interesting plants and Mangroves.

Night Life - We really enjoyed a guiatarist by the name of Pat G who played at the Key Lime Bistro. He was very good and played bluegrass and blues.

Shopping - there is a wonderful antique shop on Sanibel. It was like going back in time. Also I got some real nice, unusual jewelry on the island. I liked that the shops are not t-shirt and souvineer shops like you see in most beach resorts.

Scenery - both Captiva and Sanibel are beautiful. Loved just driving around the island. Captiva is just so pretty. The houses are beautiful and totally unaffordable for us. The birds are wonderful. We had a blue heron that sat on the tree outside our patio. Loved watching the birds.

Beach - we had a beach right outside our door. It was nice and we swam there. It was a little rough some days .

Here are the lLOWLIGHTS of our vacation.

Dead Fish on the beach - there were dead fish on the beach near where we stayed but not directly in front of our location. These fish had been dead for weeks. They do not clean the beaches and remove these fish. I questioned this and was told that everything is natural and the fish will be eaten by predators (vulgers, hawks). I feel it is bad for tourism to leave these dead fish on the beach. They do smell and look disgusting.

No-see-ums - we used spray and still got bitten. You really need to be on top of it. You need to spray alot and after you get out of the water. They are around at dusk and dawn and as far as I was concerned they were around all day long. My legs got it bad. My husband took a little longer to get bit but he also got his share. Some people don't get bit at all. I am just back one day and am still scratching.

Restaurants that were not that good - ate at RC Otters for breakfast. Was not impressed the food was very salty. Mucky Duck was fair. High prices and small portions.

All in all it was a very nice vacation. We would like to stay for a week next time we go.

Tourmaline - is November and early December free of no-see-ums?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Captiva/Sanibel Trip Report

Sounds good to me Linda! Glad it worked out. Yes, the natural beach thing can be a pain. I'm of two minds and do believe there are times to that cleaning things up are necessary.

As for no-see-ums, they are generally fewer as the weather cools off - and it gets DRY! It's the rain and humidity that really seems to bring them out. Still, there are more when there's lots of detritus on the beach, seaweed, egg casings, other stuff that washes up with the tide, so I've been badly bitten while shelling along the tide line even then.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captiva/Sanibel Trip Report

I have to disagree with the comment on small portions of food at the Mucky Duck. We went there twice once to eat inside and once sat outside with appetisers and watched the sunset. As with most other restaurants in the states I was absolutely floored by the portions at the Mucky Duck.

3. Re: Captiva/Sanibel Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 23, 2009