We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in October

LZD
Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in October

I was wondering if mosquitoes are a problem on the beach during the month of October. If so, is it just an early evening problem?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in October

In my experience, the mosquitos aren't on the beach. It's the nooseeums that you have to worry about. I get eaten alive by nooseums every time we go (in October). They seem to come out at dusk and dawn.

LZD
Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in October

It sounds like from 9-5 your safe in the beach area. After that you need to use bug spray. Do nooseeums affect the main business/dining districts of Sanibel?

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in October

No, the noseeums are not in the business district. They tend to be near water.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in October

All I know is they are EVERYWHERE on Captiva dn if I make the mistake of being outside at dusk, the wretched little things eat me alive. I must smell like no-see-um gourmet food. Mosquitos like me too and the ones that breed on Sanibel are more tolerant of day times and I do get bitten, but never as bothered as I am with the no-see-ums. And I get bitten by the NSU's mid-island when I'm in heavily shady area or near wetlands. As I said, I think I attract the blasted things.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in October

I think that some people really do attract them! And some people have worse reactions to the noseeum bite than others. I always get many, many more bites than my S.O. does, AND my bites seem to be much itchier than his! Not fair. One of the downsides to vacationing in Sanibel is that I spend all week scratching, and come home looking like some sort of plague victim. Ha!

central nj
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes in October

I, too, am noseeum bait. We are visiting Sanibel & Captiva 10/13-10/23. Last October I had 147 (that we counted) bites on my left leg alone. I get eaten alive 24/7. My hubby was fine. I was bit during the day in the pool, on the golf course, while we shopped on Periwinkle - you name the place - I was bait. I tried everything from Skin-so-soft to the local Florida Swamp Insect repellent. I loaded up on the B-vitamins for a month prior to the trip, I tried the lemongrass oil, It didn't matter...for this trip I packed plenty of Cortisone cream to fight the itch... Zyrtec to counter the itch & let me sleep a few hours and ibuprophen anti-inflammatory. We just returned from Palm Desert Ca...the desert - supposedly NO BUGS...first night - mosquito bit me, next day on the golf course a nest of fire ants got me good, my ankles look just like they did in Sanibel. I even reached down to put a golf ball on the tee and there was a huge bee sitting on the little wooden tee, just waiting for me. Some people just taste so good the bugs can't stay away!

We've been to Sanibel numerous times and it seems the older I get the more the bugs enjoy me! Years ago I could walk the beach as the sun came up & the sun went down without a bug bite, not anymore. I love Sanibel - so I'll tolerate the bugs.

If anyone out there has any sugggestions .... please post ASAP!

East Windsor, New...
Level Contributor
445 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes in October

SanibelSandals - I don't know where you live in NJ but there is a place Called Harry's on Route 130 in Hamilton, It is a sports center. They recommended Dak's Greenhead Repellent. They told me it was very effective for mosquitos and no see ums.

I have been to Sanibel once and Captiva once. In Sanibel I got bitten up everywhere!! I never heard of no see ums before that trip. I was so bad I had to go to a medi center. It still did not ruin the trip as I fell in love with Sanibel. So I returned again but tried Captiva. I did not get bitten up as bad there for some reason. I did spray myself before I went out though. If you are going in the sun I never could figure out what to put on first, the bug spray or the suntan lotion.

Hopefully it won't be too bad this trip.

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TRIP AS WELL!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes in October

I am so glad I'm not the only one. I had developed something of a pesecution complex about no-see-ums on Sanibel and Captiva. I kept getting told I was nuts - the little devils weren't around. Not that I'd wish those itchy bites on anyone, but now I know I'm not alone. ;-)

I do find both isopropol alcohol [rubbing alcohol] and ammonia helpful. The alcohol, liberaly applied to the bites, seems to help more than either Benedryl creme or Cortizone cream or ointment. I use Benedryl [generic] tablets rather than Zyrtec as it seems to work on my allergic reaction to the bites better.

You could also see your doctor and ask about Atarax. Now Atarax is not your typical drug, but doctor's use to supress hives and other allergic reactions. That's what happens to me - I have a secondary allergic reaction that lasts for weeks. It will zonk you out [usually] and under no circumstances drink any alcohol. Tell your doc to check the PDR and see if it's safe for you to take. I've had very bad food and drug allergies and used it as needed and it works very well.

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes in October

Some swear by and application of Avon's Skin So Soft to keep the noseeums away, but any insect repellant with DEET will work.

If the noseeums like you they will FIND you no matter where you are on the island at a certain time of the day. Always keep repellent with you if your are the type they like to munch on.

Noseeums can make morning or late afternoon at the beach unbearable - be extra careful watching the sunset!!

central nj
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes in October

Linda from NJ- we live in South Brunswick & my daughter in law is from Hamilton, we will definitely look for Harry's recommendation.

Thank you!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island