We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation fee\?

Manitoba
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Reservation fee\?

I am looking at visiting Sanibel Island in August and have my stay narrowed down to a couple of resorts but have a question that I am hoping someone on this forum will know the answer.

What is a "reservation fee"? I began to book with a resort using their on-line booking system and was expecting the applicable taxes to be tacked on to the listed rate of the condo but in addition, there was a reservation fee and an insurance fee listed which took the expected rate up an extra $100+. Is this common on Sanibel Island? I have travelled a fair bit and have not experienced this in the past. Is this the same thing as a daily resort fee that many resorts tack on to cover items such as wifi, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Moorings Resort
Sanibel Moorings Resort
#1 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Island Inn
Island Inn
#5 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#6 of 20 hotels in Sanibel Island
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation fee\?

Here's one firms take on the insurance fee (not to be confused with travel insurance)

Security Deposit Waiver The Security Deposit Waiver is a fee added to the reservation total. It covers the registered guest against any accidental damages to the unit or its contents for an amount not to exceed $3000.00 when reported immediately. This fee eliminates the necessity for the traditional security deposits. This gives our guests a complete and total peace of mind by knowing "When accidents happen…You are covered!" -

Reservation Fee covers the cost of the Reservation Company/Condo Association's cost of doing business. Internet advertising, computers, credit card clearing, etc...

These fees could be honestly added to the advertised rental quote, but it's a competitive world out there and price shoppers abound.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation fee\?

Thanks for the info, rojamg. I'll keep those "extra" charges in mind when deciding where to book.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation fee\?

Lots of places will charge an admin fee for booking your condo and some will also charge a linen fee or a cleaning fee, so watch out for those.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation fee\?

Bear in mind, you do not have to get the insurance. I only bought it once, when my dad is pretty ill.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation fee\?

The reservation fee is pretty standard with most agencies on the Island. I'd rather have the option of paying the fee than putting down and waiting for the return of a deposit.

I always opt out of the travel insurance, the terms are very narrow in what is considered an emergency.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservation fee\?

Travel insurance is, for 1 week trips especially, a waste. It covers nothing unless your trip is interrupted for a minimum of 3 days.

A number of years ago we developed a Traveler Article about travel insurance when agencies began pushing it after Charley and Wilma.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34616-c70071/Sanibel…

It has lots of good info.

7. Re: Reservation fee\?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island