We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Cars

We were on Sanibel Island in June for a week and hope to be able to come back in December. I realize prices are MUCH higher then. But I checked rental car prices today and HOLY MOLY!!! What an increase. Any chance the rates will go down before December??

Nebraska
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars

I was just down that way and had been there last December. We paid at least 100 bucks more for 5 days--hope for your sake the price goes back down.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars

There are two ways I approach the rental car situation. First and most straightforward is to make a bid through Priceline.com If they accept your bid, your credit card is charged immediately, but that's okay with me because I have always been pleased with the "deals" made through them. December is not "high" season (except maybe Christmas / New Year's week) so I would bid as low as $13 - $14 a day for a compact and a few dollars more for each incrementally larger car.

Alternatively, I visit www.breezenet.com All major and some minor rental agency prices are listed for all types vehicles. If you find a price you like, you book directly with the rental agency through the site. However, you can keep checking back and, if a better price appears, easily cancel the first arrangement and book the lower priced one. Often the prices do become lower as your travel dates approach, but not always.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars

Weclome to the Christmas upcharge factor. Rental car companies do the same thing accommodations do - almost double the prices. If you go just ahead of the season the December rates are fine, get in the season and you can get sticker shock.

I'd follow GrandmaMac's advice - but becareful. Car agencies have a history of accepting many more reservations than they have cars for and if your are late in the cycle, you may be carless.

Also, call up the Ft Myers yellowpages and check some of the local agencies that usually rent cars to folks who have been in accidents and such and need a car while theirs is getting body work. These are usually not new or anything, but are much cheaper. Just a suggestion as I know the airport agencies run out of cars sometimes.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
375 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars

The increase in price is something to live with but I have found two things that help:

1. National has a free Emerald Club. Membership in the club gives you free additional drivers (if they are a spouse or living in your same house, business associates, Etc).

2. If you have an American Express join the Insurance Club. That gives you complete coverage with no deductable for $25 for up to a month.

Of course if you don't have an additional driver or don't buy insurance coverage it doesn't matter.

Good luck

dad
St. Louis
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Cars

We found we could rent two taurus for $350 or one mini van for $600 at the airport. It was an easy choice since we have 5 drivers and only one 11 year old. Used Enterprise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Cars

Here's another option I became aware of recently. Keeping them in mind for the day (not too far off) when I can come down for a month at a time. They apparently do airport pickup.

http://www.sensiblecarrentalfla.com/

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Cars

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I think we might just keep checking the rates for a while. And if that does not work, will try priceline. I won't wait to long as you suggested.

Again, thank you!

St Louis
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Cars

EZ car rental is available at RSW and we used them once on a trip to Orlando with a drive down to Sanibel and we saved a good bit of money over the other agencies.

http://www.e-zrentacar.com/default.asp

Sanibel wiki:

http://sanibelpedia.com

9. Re: Rental Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island