We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic

So, people are mentioning the traffic on Sanibel...and I'm open to any tips others may have to deal with it. And how do you think the traffic is now compared to the last week in April? Less then, I hope?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic

Seeing as this is the first time we have stayed here more than one night, I cannot compare to April for you! but I am confident someone else can.

Yes the traffic is bad. But we find that if you HAVE to go up to periwinkle there are alternate routes to help cut out some of the traffic. We are staying on West Gulf ...so if we are heading to Doc Fords or towards CAptiva we head down to rabbit road. If we want to pop for groceries we either take our bikes or drive to Jerry's via Casa Ybel Road as it takes you right in to the parking lot. Coming and going off and on the island we use the Gulf roads. This has worked really well for us (these were tips from the forum so they know what they are talking about:)

Will you get stuck in some traffic at some point? Probably yes. There seems to be a lot of off island visitors that come for day trips to the beaches. Who can blame them? It is lovely here, and I am sure that will be no different in April. Just be prepared to put the windows down and breathe in the atmosphere.

We thought the traffic was far worse over on Fort Myers beach. At least here on Sanibel there is a traffic policeman at most of the busy intersections moving the traffic along. By far the longest line we see is the lineup if cars coming in to the island from the bridge.

I will stop and let some of the more experienced chip in :)

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic

Use the Gulf roads during busy times. If you look at Google maps (and really blow it up) you can see that if you stay straight at the end of the Causeway when everyone else is turning right on to Periwinkle, you will be on Lindgren which will take you to the East Gulf Rd. You can follow East Gulf to Middle Gulf and eventually to West Gulf. There are a lot of twists and turns (you will be on Nerita for a bit and Donax, etc.) but if you have a good map or GPS on your phone it is easy.

Roads that will lead you back to Periwinkle include Donax, Casa Ybel, Tarpon Bay Rd and Rabbit Rd. Much of this info will depend on where you are staying! You can always start out on Periwinkle and if it's crazy then tun on on one the aforementioned roads.

Probably one of the more helpful guides we picked up years ago - but they release a new one every year - is a spiral-bound 5x7 book sold at Jerry's and some of the shops. (I left mine down at the condo last year so can't remember the name!) I like it because it lists all the shops, restaurants, etc. block by block so it's easier to know which road to take from the gulf roads to Periwinkle in order to avoid too much time on that sometimes very busy road. Seems to me it costs about $6 but that was a few years ago.

Avoid busy times - get to the grocery early, etc. - and you should be fine. I am guessing it will be busy the weeks before and after Easter ( April 12 - 26) but not quite as busy as March.

Oh! And watch for bikers at all times.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic

Snowbirds leave and Spring breakers are gone the week after Easter. Easter is April 20th this year. The 27th is literally the first day of off season. I'm not sure of your exact dates, but if its the week after Easter and into May, you won't need to worry about traffic or have an alternative route!

I'm not sure if you saw my response to your Ding Darling question, want to make sure you don't miss out on the fun programs!

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic

Thanks to you all for the tips! Our dates are the 22nd to the 29th, so I guess we may see the traffic thinning out while we are there.

And yes, bean I did read the response to ding darling and I had responded, but then for some reason, it didn't go through. I meant to try my response again, but then never got to it. But, thanks and I definitely will look up those programs!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic

Then I guess you'll need the great tips above! Glad you saw Ding info., awesome programs!

Fort Myers, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic

how's traffic to captiva museum>apr3rd

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic

There is no Captiva Museum, do you mean the Shell Museum? Can you tell us where you are coming from and when so we are better able to get you where you want to go?

8. Re: Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2015