We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red tide/algae in August

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Red tide/algae in August

We are set to arrive Captiva on August 5th. Reserved a beachfront home. I hear the red tide/algae has arrived in Captiva and someone told me dead fish are piled up in places. Please tell me what you know about what could happen with this by August. I really value all of your knowledge and honesty here. Thank you.

Orlando
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
71. Re: Red tide/algae in August

We arrived Captiva on Friday, July 28 and it rained heavily, washing fish kill and red tide out. Saturday was great, some fish kill spotted in the harbors at Captiva but we were able to use the bicycles paths in Sanibel and get into the water at Captiva with just a little "fishy smell." Little rain on Saturday. On Sunday morning, the smell from outside was unbearable and we left. It depends on if you get a good rain or if there is an offshore storm to wash everything out. We had experience the same on Ft. Myers beach last year and some days are good, some are not. It just depends if you plan watersports or if you are flexible in your activities. Inland on the island, it was less noticible. Great bike paths, shopping and restaurants are available if you can change your beach plans. Take each day as you get it in paradise.

72. Re: Red tide/algae in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 15, 2009