We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is summer the low season?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Why is summer the low season?

I'm curious as to why summer (actually April to November) is the low season in Sanibel. It's the high season in Hilton Head, for example.

I'm planning on coming next June and I wonder if I will encounter lots of bugs, a too warm gulf, red tide - or is it just that people go elsewhere in the summer.

Also, have a line on a condo at the east end of the island. How does that compare, as a location, to West Gulf Drive which seems to be the main condo district?

Thanks in advance,

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is summer the low season?

All of the very southern tip Florida is sub-tropical and has a high season in the winter as it is one of the warmest locations in the Continental US - Key West is historically noted as being the only frost free location in the US. December and January are pretty iffy, but January is usually discounted 20-30% over winter rates.

Shells are most plentiful, the islands have the least rain and are considerably warmer that areas like the Florida Panhandle, Amelia Island or Hilton Head. Prime season on Sanibel and Captiva are Feb-Mar-mid-April. July and August are a little season when kids are out of school, but much slower than the high season. Spetember is very slow and some businesses close for vacation or to prepare for the upcoming season.

The main cluster of condos are on Sanibels East End, East Gulf Drive to Middle Gulf Drive. Off the beach, the East End - approx from the Causeway to the Lighthouse - is very townlike with houses populating the area along a series of manmade canals. The east end complexes are larger and have many units both on and off the Gulf. The townlike area stops, but large complexes continue along Middle Gulf and Casa Ybel to the start of West Gulf and the last big complex if Pointe Santo where Tarpon Bay Road meets West Gulf Drive. After that, the condo desity begins thinning out and West Gulf Drive and there is a lower concentartion of condos and those are mostly small complexes. Private homes take up the far end on West Gulf where it dead ends beyond Rabitt Rd.

June is usually hot and humid with afternoon thunderstorms starting up. It is the very begining of Florida's rainy season. Hurricane season runs June till the end of November. It is also the start of no-see-ums and mosquitos. Hard to say about the insects as it will depend heavily on how warm the winter months are and how soon the rains start. It can even vary day to day.

Red tide is something that is a complete unknown and unpredictable issue and not present every year. The Gulf is very warm -typically mid-high 80's near shore and low to mid-80's further out.

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is summer the low season?

Thanks Tourmaline. I'm trying to choose between a condo on Buttonwood on the east end and one on West Gulf. Got two grandkids that love the water (8 and 6) and the adults who like to walk on the beach and enjoy peace and quiet. Using Google Earth it looks like West Gulf is more dense (has more condos lining the beach) than the east end although I see a very large complex on the inland side of the east end.

We were in Sanibel in early Fall years ago and experienced no-see-ums. That's why I was curious about "bugs" in June.

I appreciate the help, thanks again.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is summer the low season?

I have been traveling to Sanibel in June for many years. It is very unpredictable as to when the summer rains will begin which means a shower every day and then clearing up. There used to be no Tropical storm activity in June, however for the last 2 seasons while I have been there we have had one. The good thing is the shelling is Great!

The no-see-ums will depend on when the rains begin. The more rain the more bugs.

In my opinion West Gulf is much less crowded, it may appear on Google Earth to be more crowded but in my experience there are less people on the beach. As Touraline said after Pointe Santo the buildings are smaller which means less people for the beach area. The farther West the more homes which is even less people to share the beach with.

A nice building is Sayana Condos only 9 condos in the building and a nice price for that few. Elevator, Pool and the beach is very close.

Another one to check into that is a little better price would be Sandpointe on West GUlf a pool facing the gulf, under building parking, elevator. Here is a link that shows a picture of the front.

gopherrental.com/rental/…sand_pointe.html

On middle Gulf Sanddollar is a nice complex I have stayed at.

I rent directly from owners and have always had good luck!

Good luck with planning your trip....Enjoy!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is summer the low season?

There are two complexes bayside on theEast End Mariner Point and the larger Lighthouse Point. There are some small places on the East End as well, not all the complexes are big. The 3 largest are Sundial, Point Santo and I think Loggerhead Cay, but I could be wrong on that one.

This site www.sancapvacations.net/condorentals.htm has a link to a map of condo locations in blue highlighted text above the condo listings. If you look at the map, the road thru the center running from one end of the island to the other is Periwinkle Way. Right at the curve of the island theres a road that runs toward the beach and you'll see the names Pointe Santo and Tarpon Beach for condo complexes. That road is Tarpon Bay Road where it runs into West Gulf Drive. As you move up West Gulf you'll see fewer condos and not shown are cottages and places like Waterside Inn. Also, the timeshare condos aren't shown on this map. The complex names you see are pretty small, some having only 6 nuits and none getting anywhere near the 140 at Pointe Santo or 400+ at the Sundial. I was taking that into account.

Not every complex is shown, but it helps. And remember from Tarpon Bay to the Lighthouse, the island runs mostly east west and begins a slow north turn along the Gulfside at Tarpon Bay Rd slowly curving untill it connects to Captiva at Blind Pass bridge. It is there that Sanibel is finally faces due west. Folks get a bit confused by this east-west orientation, but it's what makes shelling so good!

I've stayed on the East end in both condos and house rentals. I now stay up on Captiva, but I am looking at the west end of Sanibel as well. Steinbecke and Sue know that area better than I do for places to stay, so be sure to ask.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is summer the low season?

lol Steinbecke - we were writing at the same time and I told him to ask you!

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is summer the low season?

Tourmaline...this is not the first time we have written at the same time :)

I answered you on the other post welcoming me back home.

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is summer the low season?

Thanks again to both of you.

8. Re: Why is summer the low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 13, 2009