We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Hello Everyone - I am looking for some help deciding on where to book for two weeks in February 2014. Thanks to all of your wonderful advice on this forum I have narrowed my choice down to a Blind Pass Condo or...... one of several more expensive gulf view units (such as Pointe Santo).

The conumdrum is that both my husband and I prefer a lower key complex. We are in our late 50's and do like some peace and quiet - hence the Blind Pass option. It appears to be well situated.

However.... I think I may miss having a direct gulf view. We usually stay in the Indian Rocks area of Florida directly on the gulf.... so I am torn. We spent one night on Sanibel last year and loved the island so we are making the change from Indian Rocks to Sanibel. I did not think that I would have such a challenge making up my mind (bet you have all heard that one before :)

The unit we are looking at Blind Pass is in the A building... the furthest from the beach access.

Can anyone who has stayed at Blind Pass tell me why you would choose Blind Pass over a gulf view complex? I am aware that money might play a role in a decision - and I would be willing to pay the price if the complex was as nice and cozy looking as Blind Pass.

HELP!! Open to all advice - please and thank you very much

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Never stayed at Blind Pass because I always want a water view. I stay Gulf front, bayfront, once I rented a house canal front, but I don't go all the way to an island to look at trees and shrubs. That one time canal front was fine, but I MUCH prefer bay or beach. That's why, despite the excellent buy, I have never stayed at Blind Pass.

I don't know what other complexes you're considering, but look at White Sands or Sand Pointe on West Gulf. Both are quieter mid-size complexes.

Tyngsboro...
Level Contributor
765 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

February is Season. My hunch is you may be lucky to have the choice that you do have.

You could call some of the smaller timeshare resorts and see if any owners have weeks up for rent for the time you want to be there.

Eric or Emily at Sanibel Beach Club could tell you quickly. TKenoyer handles several timeshares. Just be sure that you ask for gulf view and whichever floor you prefer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Thanks Tourmaline - I knew I could count on you :) However, you have now just added to my dilemma. We really do enjoy the gulf view and I agree that if I am going to an Island I want the good views.

I have not looked at Sand Pointe or White Sands - I will do that now.

Yes OlderGodger - I hear you - I may not have a lot of choice now for that time frame. I will check Sanibel Beach Club too.

Thanks to both of you.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

I agree, if you like water views over privacy, then you will probably be disappointed if you end up not having one, especially after traveling so far. Another advantage of staying at or near Point Santo is that you are centrally located to grocery stores, restaurants, and outdoor activities. If you decide on Point Santo, try to get a beachfront condo in the A or E buildings or a 4th floor condo with a private roof-top deck.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

I think Blind Pass looks and feels like any ol' condo complex in Florida. I haven't stayed there, but have been on the grounds to have a look around. It's a long hike to the beach. Take a look at Bing Maps to get an idea of where the buildings are located. From the info. you gave, I don't think you will be happy there. Plus two weeks is a long time to make that long walk!

Blue Gulf, Sayana, Breakers West, Sandy Bend & Tarpon are a few of the smaller complexes in addition to those mentioned.

Here's a few links to help with your search:

www.vip-vacationrentals.com/sanibel.aspx

http://www.royalshell.com/

http://www.selectvacationproperties.com/

http://www.kingfishervacations.net/

Also check the Sanibel Chamber for listings:

http://www.sanibel-captiva.org/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Thanks A1 ...I have been checking for availability in the A and E buildings but no joy yet.

Great ideas Bean3 ...thanks so much for the links ..looks like I have homework tonight :)

Much appreciated !

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

We are currently on Sanibel and staying at Pointe Santo, we are in block C which is furthest from the ocean but the view from the 4th floor is amazing. It is a 2 minute walk to the beach. Earlier today we cycled from here to Bowman's Beach and went past the Blind Pass condos, they look ok but it looked to be quite a trek to the beach from there. I would definitely go for an ocean view with a very short walk to the beach. We have also stayed at Sanibel Moorings which was very close to the beach despite us being on the other side of the road.

Delaware
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

We stayed at Blind Pass for a week several years ago. Will not do so again. The maintenance at that time was generally poor both inside and outside tthe unit we rented (through the office, not a VRBO or independent rental). We have loved Sayana and Sand Pointe repeatedly, and enjoyed Oceans Reach and Tarpon Beach. Even Seashells (across the road from the Gulf) was preferable to Blind Pass in my opinion.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Thanks EnglishLady (I am originally from Southampton :) your comments really help. I am currently searching other options... Certainly now that I have looked at the google birds eye view I see how far away the units at blind pass are away from the beach.

How are you finding Pointe Santo? Do you feel any sense of privacy? I am just not fond of big complexes and it does appear large?

Ok...back to the search :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blind Pass Condo - conumdrum

Hi DownIslandDreamer...that is a shame about the maintenance . The unit I am/was contemplating there is off VRBO and has really good recent reviews....BUT I am now looking at gulf view units. I am still on the hunt.

Thanks for your feedback.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island