We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 trip #4

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2013 trip #4

Just arrived. As we flew in over Sanibel and FMB the water conditions looked similar to the SCCF pictures. Brown streak through redfish pass and some other areas. We were on the left side of the plane so I only got one shot of FMB that I will post.

That said, I think Tourmaline's post in the other thread provides a good balanced view. I didn't get shots but the majority of the gulf side appears unaffected whereas the sound side looks brown. Its not that the water isn't tea colored in the gulf but from the air you can tell its not the plume from the Caloosahatchee River but just the usual color the water is in Sanibel.

Another hot sunny day, apparently much less busy than 2 weeks ago.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 trip #4

Enjoy your time. It will be a while before MA & I are back on Sanibel. So please keep up the reports.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 trip #4

I can't believe you're back again, but we're counting you your reports of beach and water conditions! (Then I'm getting my voodoo doll shaped like Fred and sticking pins in it out of sheer envy)

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 trip #4

This week's National emerald executive selection car is a 2014 Impala LTZ for $122 with a couple of free days applied. Its a sweet car w/ XM radio, leather, 2 display screens, 2 pane sunroof , side/front/rear hazard warnings - sometimes annoying when you neglect to use a turn signal. Much better choice than the stripped down black Dodge Challenger 2 weeks ago. The trick with National emerald aisle lately has been that the rates go way down within a couple of days of the rental on the basic emerald aisle rate.

Island Cow last night for dinner. I think this might be our favorite restaurant. 1# chilled jumbo gulf shrimp for $22, Sam Adams seasonal drafts $2 and daughter got probably close to 2# of snow crab for $17.

Looked for the perseid meteor shower last night between clouds but only saw a couple, But a thunderstorm to the north made up for that with lots of cloud to cloud and cloud to ground bolts.

Took some sunrise pictures and caught a great egret launching from a tree (pictures pending).. Remaining plover chick has really grown in 2 weeks. There were 2 chicks originally but only one remains (disappeared 2 weeks ago),

So the good news is that the water quality appears better than 2 weeks ago. I walked past the pier on Lighthouse beach this morning and the water did appear murkier with more washed up sea grass and a little frothy looking stuff. A few hundred yards down the gulf side it clears up to tea color water with visibility to 1-2'.

Thought I had scored a surf/paddle board at the common chair/beach toy pickup area but at 9.5; and narrow, it turns out its probably only good as a kids surf board so back it went. I really want to get a wind surfer.

Maybe headed to the thrift store - Thursday is the last day at one of them for the season - $4 stuff a bag or 80% off any item.

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 trip #4

Another good beach day yesterday - quite hot but with a strong sea breeze. Found a painted turtle in the middle of Gulf drive on the way to dinner and daughter held up traffic until we replaced him back in the grass. Hopefully he stays there.

Dinner at Doc Fords - fish tacos and tuna appetizer were pretty good with the habanero sauce.

Posted a few more bird pictures. I have been really lucky with those. Shelling not so much - east side beaches appear to have lots of common shells but not much else. Lots of live sand dollars toward the 1st sand bar which are not allowed to be collected.

Stretch goal for this trip would be to witness a turtle nest hatching. 5-6 nests to monitor on this side of the island.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 trip #4

We haven't eaten at Island Cow in a long time. No reason for not eating there, just not on our list of favorites. Think we'll make a point to eat there next time based on your comments!

I hope you do get to witness a hatching, that would be amazing. For anyone reading here that would like to bone up on Turtle Info. for the Islands, SCCF keeps tabs on the nests:

www.sccf.org/content/143/Sea-Turtles.aspx

As always, I look forward to your gorgeous photos!!!

North Brunswick...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 trip #4

My wife and I are in Sanibel right now and would LOVE to witness a turtle nest hatching. Are there any ways of finding out which nests are close to the expected hatching dates? Or do you just check the nests every day/night for evidence of hatching?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 trip #4

Witnessing a turtle hatching would be a VERY RARE thing.

The Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation has a link with rules and regulations concerning the sea turtles.

https://www.sccf.org/content/188/Sea-Turtle-…

The City of Sanibel regulations:

http://tinyurl.com/mfat29h

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 trip #4

Hot yesterday. Found a baby painted turtle but it hid away in the grass before I could get a camera. More bird pictures - thousands of small fish were caught between sandbars and the birds were having an easy breakfast. Noseeums are around - need to be careful when there is no wind. Went shopping with wife and daughter (zzzz) and they found some sales before some of the stores close for the slowest season.

ohio
Level Contributor
501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 trip #4

Headed home today. Yesterday was nice after a cloudy day on Thursday. Overall trips 3 and 4 were good, however, later in August and September would be better - less visitors. I think early August was busier than some of the past March and April visits.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2013 trip #4

Just checked out your newest set of photos. Beautiful shot of sunrise over Fort Myers! Love the crab one too. Well actually, I love all of them! Have a safe trip home!