We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

We recently visited Sanibel and loved it! We (family of four, kids 11 and 8) are planning another vacation for likely next June and my first instinct was back to Sanibel but hubby wants to try somewhere new. I was considering Boca Grande or Marco Island. I’m giving a short “wish” list based on our experience on Sanibel knowing many of you have experience with the others locations as well and might be able to offer some suggestions. I am also posting this on the other (MI and BG) forums.

Gentle surf, shallow water, great for kids

Prefer white sand beach

Biking everywhere was great, though golf carts might be better

Quiet, uncrowded beaches

Loved the restaurant options on Sanibel … we are casual, American fare eaters. Open a little later would be nice.

Local grocer a plus (we loved Jerry’s).

Laid back atmosphere (throw on a cover-up and grab a bite at a local restaurant)

Pool a must, slide or other options a plus.

Nearby golf course a plus (nothing fancy needed).

Condo or house doesn’t matter. At least 2 bedrooms required. On the beach a must. “Resort” atmosphere with more on property would be nice.

MI seems like a good option. But viewing the pictures online there seems to be so many high rise condos I worry the place is swarming with people. Is it bike friendly? Golf carts? If anyone has a recommendation, could you also share a lodging recommendation?

Thank You!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

Being on the beach in Marco is pretty pricey and you would need a car. Boca Grande might fit the bill better, but not many condo rentals there and the surf is not as gentle as Sanibel. Boca kind of reminds me of a New England type island where the folks from the country club set and old money go. Marco is too built up for me, though parts are lovely. Marriott has new, beautiful 2 bed timeshares for rent with great pool and 4-5 restaurants in the hotel that is adjacent. The prices are very steep and space can be hard to find. Marco Island Resort is nice.

Take a look at Naples. It might work better. Naples and Marco have golf, but ask about greens fees on those forums.

None are as comfortably laid back as Sanibel. Maybe Anna Maria or Siesta Key would be better for you?

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

Wow - you've hit on all three of my favorites. Why pick one? You can do all three in a 5 to 7 night stay. The Boathouse Motel is a great choice for Marco accommodation right on the river with great sunsets. Marco Escapes has all the best home rentals, Sanibel you have West Wind Inn, Tropical Winds or Sanibel Arms West to stay at, all three different Island locations, then last Boca Grande I would do a day trip since accomms are more long term. The Boathouse Motel has great rate, West Wind Inn is the easiest Sanibel choice and drive to see Boca.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

Tour, someone else mentioned Anna Maria to me as well, I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info everyone!

4. Re: Marco Island, Sanibel or Boca Grande?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 24, 2014