We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Chantal

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Chantal

We are due to arrive on Saturday for a week stay on the island. I see that tropical storm Chantal is due to arrive also, which isn't exactly exciting our family. Is this going to disrupt our stay? I realize that rain will accompany the storm but will it be a complete wash out? Is there a chance this storm can grow into a hurricane? We're pretty concerned. Anyone?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

I don't think anyone can answer your questions at this time. The storm track right now has her heading further east than the east coast of Florida. But, she's a long ways out and storms are unpredictable. They're predicting some strengthening, once again, I don't think anyone knows if she'll turn into a hurricane.

All you can do is keep an eye on the forecast and make your decision from there. I've found the airlines very kind about changing reservations if there is a hurricane on its way. Same with hotels, but, I can't speak specifically to Sanibel.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Thanks for the response! It's just that we've planned for months and this is capable of derailing our trip. Sigh...I'm not much on waiting as I'm a classic OCD type and like to have all my ducks in a row but I guess it's all we can do at this point. LOL. Gonna be a fun week......

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

Lots of times when a Tropical Storm/Hurricane goes by, the next few days are beautiful, with a lower than normal rain chance. So even if it goes close, as long as it's not close enough to give you all of the storms fury, then it could be a good thing ! Still waaaaaaaay to far out now to know anything. Just something you need to keep your eye on at this point...

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

I completely agree with Mark. No one is even doing anything about this storm here except maybe listening to the weather forecast. Its just too far out to plan or guess/predict anything. Regardless, it is the rainy season, so you might want to look for some ideas on things to do on cloudy/rainy days. : )

Edited: 10:34 am, July 08, 2013
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

NOAA isn't even predicting it will make hurricane status, so relax. Check back Thursday. It could be gone by then, especially if it hits the mountains in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

I agree that is is too early to tell, and it is not forecast to be a hurricane yet. If the storm is wide enough and slow moving enough, it would not be uncommon to have a couple of days of heavy rain. The current path looks much worse for me than you as I was expecting to be on the beach near Melbourne next weekend.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

We have vacationed a few times in Indialantic. Nice beach. I hope the storm doesn't mess with EITHER of our plans!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

So far, Chantal isn't expected to be anything more than a tropical depression as it passes somewhere near Florida. Of course, it'll be essential to keep an eye on it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

We were in Sanibel last month when Tropical Storm Andrea wouldn't go away and we had 5 days of rain. Not the ideal beach vacation. However, I was still in Sanibel!!! I did lots of reading, shelling in the rain, shopping, eating.. etc.. You just make the best of it! I hope for great weather for you!

Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm Chantal

wunderground.com/tropical/…at201303_5day.html

This is the current track - Not looking bad for Sanibel at this time but

forecasts change all the time so keep watching.