We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the water deepen gradually?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Does the water deepen gradually?

Does the ocean deepen gradually off the beaches or is there sandbars that keep it shallow? Does it drop off on the outer edge of the sandbars or still go gradual? This may sound like a dumb question but if the water is not very clear as I have read that it is not in August, when we will be there, I don't want to step off and go under! I'm not a good swimmer so I like to be waist deep at best! Also if we had a snorkel mask would you be able to just stick your face in the water and see the bottom or will the water not be clear enough? (want to look for those shells!!) Thanks for any answers anyone can give. Really looking forward to Aug 3rd when we arrive!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

You have troughs and sandbars, sometimes one, sometimes 3 sandbars. Depending on the tide, the water can be mid-thigh on a average adult then get shallower on the sandbars. High tides you might be more like chest deep on a sandbar.

Sandbars shift around a lot with currents, tides, and storms, but by and large, the water isn't real deep near shore.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

You will get a good indication of water depth by looking up and down the beach to see how far other folks have gone in.

The snorkel mask won't be that much help as the water is generally quite murky with all the sand in it.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

Yeah, Dews. I guess I can watch other people and if someone takes a step and disappears I'll know it's too deep! LOL. Guess it would be a waste to get a snorkel mask!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

On Sanibel it is mainly very gradual .. safe for kids for example

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

I have used my snorkel mask all week and have had great success in finding shells with it. The water close to shore has been very clear.

Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

I have used my snorkel mask all week and have had great success in finding shells with it. The water close to shore has been very clear.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I may get that snorkel mask after all!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

Can I suggest you wait until you are on the Island to purchase a mask? I looked everywhere for masks where I live and was only able to find a cheaper grade or a kids grade mask when we first started using them. Now, all of our replacement masks we buy at Jerry's. They have very good quality mask/snorkle sets for around $10-12. The same price I was paying up here for junk!

While the water might not always be great for using a mask, we like to come prepared!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

Thanks for the suggestion Bean. I had not looked for one yet but it would probably be like where you live. Only toy types, although we do live near a large lake. Probably the ones at the sports stores would be more that I would want to spend for one.

10. Re: Does the water deepen gradually?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2014