We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Compass pass? Help!

Fairfield, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay? Compass pass? Help!

We are planning to be there July 6-13 this year. (Changed from Marco) We need 2 condo units on the beach. (sleeping 5-6) We are looking at Compass Pass. But can't seem to find many reviews on it. We like the idea of a smaller complex. My sis's family is from Texas, her husband likes golf, so she liked this place being close by the golf course. The kids are teenagers. My kids like kayaking, boating, snorkeling and exploring. We will drag them along. About 10 years ago we stayed at Shell Island. It was nice. But thought we'd try another part of the island. I heard the further north, the bigger the shells. My sis likes luxury, pottery barn decor, we don't care. We like cheap. They make more money than us, we need to be a little frugal. I would rather rent a boat than look at pretty decor. Although we don't want a roach motel either. I grew up in central Florida, (now stuck in NJ), so I understand the bug thing, but don't want them crawling on me at night.

Also, and not to sound ignorant, but is there a better part of the beach to stay?

Soooooo.... Any ideas, suggestions or comments? Help is appreciated.

Thanx!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Compass pass? Help!

Compass Point is a mid-size complex very near Sundial and walking distance to Beachview golf (though I hear Dunes is the better course and that's located between Periwinkle and the bay). The units at Compass Point range in quality and the price is more location than decor. Beachfront, even worn, commands top pricing. The beach is usually shelly along that stretch. There are beachfront and beach view units in two different buildings. Their design is long and narrow. Some have an extra room at ground level called a Cabana and get a higher price. Royal Shell Offers one here that is a good example (your sister would like this one)

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Compass-Point-101

It sits on Fulgar and Middle Gulf with beach access for Beachview houses right there between Sanibel Siesta and Compass Point. Next is Moon Shadows (low freestanding house style condos) then Sundial, so this is a very well developed area. The pool sits behind the beachfront building.

The location does permit easy access to the bike path and Beachview, but all the conservation areas are further northwest on West Gulf Drive. I think you might prefer Sanddollar, which is still on Middle Gulf and near Beachview, but closer to a less developed area.

Not as convenient to Beachview, and with a beach front pool, two complexes on West Gulf that might suit you better - White Sands and Sand Pointe. Take a look and see if you can live with the drive to Beachview - about 5-7 minutes on back roads. Otherwise, look at Sanddollar. I think that's decent compromise, has more spacious grounds, and a greater sense on privacy, while staying walking distance to Beachview.

Fairfield, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Compass pass? Help!

T - I will check them out! I have spent soooo much time looking at condos I feel like they are are starting to look the same!

Thanx again for your knowledge!

3. Re: Where to stay? Compass pass? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 27, 2014