We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

My wife and I just got back from Sanibel and was our best vacation in many many years! I am an extreme "penny-pincher" and felt the vacation was worth every one of them. SW flight to Ft Lauderdale ($399) and Std car from Sat to Sat ($192, very impressed with Ford Fusion - 32 mpg avg for stay)... it's MUCH cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale than Ft Myers and it's only a 2.5 hour easy drive.

Blind Pass Condo's. These are very secluded, well stocked, quiet, 10-15 minute drive to Lighthouse or Mucky Duck, close beach (5 minute walk), very nice grounds, very nice clean/large salt water pool, free kayak or canoe check out (very available). Beach chairs, shelling nets, beach cart, umbrella, all included. 6 gas grills to use. Cost under $1000 for the week including taxes.

Things we did: Watched beautiful sunset each night (priceless); Tarpon Bay Wildlife cruise ($46/2, much wildlife-birds, 3-4 Dolphins, nice slow pace); Kayaked Blind Pass inlet (free, had 5-6 manatee within touching distance, Osprey feeding on fish, Tri-colored Heron, great fun - 1st timers); Lighthouse (nothing special); gawked at million dollar mansions on Captiva (not priceless); Ding Darling road (let-down); CROW rehabilitation ($5/2 with coupon, very interesting place); Bailey's Tract (free, walked the 1 mile path - saw an alligator any many birds); Public Library (very nice shell collection); Shelling - never saw so many shells in one place! And got wet a few times (even though there was no rain all week!)

Restaurants: We found that eating a big lunch and eating light at dinner worked well. We bought a few things on the way in at Publix, but it wasn't necessary. Jerry's is a fantastic place to shop (and eat) - we got their salad bar to take home for dinner at least 4 nights, a bargain at less than $10 to fed 2, their restaurant was also very good - I found Jerry's MUCH nicer than Baileys (better atmosphere and lower prices). Any place we ate lunch was excellent, in order of favorite first: Green Flash, Rosie's Cafe, Jerry's, Mucky Duck, Over Easy Cafe, Island Cow), and of course Pinocchio's (yum). Our highest bill with tax and tip was $28 for 2 at Island Cow and food was a little disappointing there. All others were under $25 for 2 (excellent and very filling, and yes we mostly drank water with lemon).

I'll be back....

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

Easily. There are 2 & 3 bedroom units. Very spacious. Lots of info at their website.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

Just bought a 2013 Ford Fusion. Love it!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

Happy for you FLABSLAB, but uh, what does that have to do with this thread?

Smithsburg Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

We are traveling for the first time to Sanibel Island in July. We too are flying in to Ft Lauderdale rather than Ft Myers. It saved us $500. So thanks very much for all the other money saving tips! Can't wait to go.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

FLABSLAB, just realized that the OP's rental car was a Ford Fusion! Duh! Sorry about that! I really was interested in knowing why you were so happy with the Fusion!!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

It's OK bean:)

17. Re: Sanibel (It really doesn't have to break the bank)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 08, 2014