We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler Questions

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveler Questions

My last trip to Sanibel was in 2004 and I've been wanting to return ever since. I am excited about traveling alone but I am also apprehensive because I don't know what to expect. All I want to do is relax on the beach, collect shells and visit Bailey's Museum. Is Sanibel safe for solo female travelers? Which hotels are centrally located? I don't drive so a hotel that is walking distance from stores and restaurants would be great. Any recommendations for taxi service? What about tour companies? Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

The beginning of May is usually excellent. The summer humidity hasn't set in yet and evenings cool off. Shelling is erratic, but that's not unusual. There are always shells.

PlantMom is right. If you're not used to traveling alone, Sanibel is a great place to be. Restaurants are nice to singles and off season is a bit more relaxed - though May is still a busy month. I've traveled all over the US and the world alone and with others and Sanibel/Captiva is the one place that I've never worried about. Like PlantMom, it's my mental health spot too, and as much as I enjoy being there with others, I think I enjoy it even more alone. The people who go there are friendly and chat with strangers. I've never walked the beach alone without someone chatting with me. I've shelled at night, and yeah, it is a bit creepy at first, but you relax and get used to it. Remember, in May it will be turtle nesting season, so use a red filter on your flashlights!

Do take normal safety precautions as petty theft does visit the islands on occasion. Lock your condo and car. Don't leave cameras and computers in view in cars. That's about it. Beaches are patrolled at night, especially during turtle nesting season. Volunteers and police make sure all furniture is removed and the turtles are protected and no one interferes when a turtle is nesting. They mark nests with yellow tape to keep people from walking over the nest and crushing the eggs - or digging them up by accident.

Sanibel and Captiva are very friendly to solo travelers. Go have a good time!

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

Tourmaline and PlantmomTo3, thank you for sharing your experiences! I want to be able to relax and not be responsible for others. I am apprehensive about shelling at night but I will do it. All i need is a good headlamp. I am so looking forward to this.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

ONE thing you can't do at night is ride your bike .. it is pitch dark on that island at night .. nice , but not for biking or walking about in the evening ..

Waukee, Iowa
Level Contributor
178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

One suggestion I have...make sure you always have some form of identification on you...especially shelling alone at night. You could get hurt, etc. and being alone...better safe than sorry. I made up a little card with my name, home address, where I was staying on Sanibel, a home contact phone number, etc., and had it laminated. I had it with me all the time on the beach when I was shelling alone and didn't carry my wallet.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

Excellent advise IowaGirl!

16. Re: Solo Traveler Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 11, 2014