We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Captiva - Captiva Island

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kansas city
9 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Captiva - Captiva Island

Thank you Tourmaline for your information on Jensen's "On the Gulf".

My wife and I are also interested in possibly a beach villa at

South Seas Resort or the Sunset Captiva community, both going thru rental by owner.

Would you have any information on both of these locations and are they within walking distance to the restaurants and shops.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Captiva - Captiva Island

Sue knows the Beach Villas at South Seas better than I, so hoefully she can give you some info. You can walk the beach to Andy Rosse Lane from them, but I believe some are a fair way in. Others are fairly close.

Sunset Captiva sits gulf side of Captiva Drive. (There are condos bayside) They are smallish houses that have community pool and some other recreational facilities. Only a very few of the houses actually sit Gulf front, but you'd be a just a short walk to the beach. They are next to the 'center' of Captiva Village. An easy walk to the Green Flash bayside and very close to the restaurants on Andy Rosse using the beach or the roads - but do carry a flashlight as you'll need it - no sidewalks.

Before Charley you couldn't even see the houses from the road, but you can now, so do take one as close to the beach as possible. If memory serves, the lowest numbers are the beach units and the highest number are nearer the road.

There are 2 marinas within walking distance and they offer kayak and boat rentals as well as water taxi and charter services. I think I take Sunset over South Seas until they have the resort sorted out, but that's me. See what Sue has to say.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Captiva - Captiva Island

Sunset Captiva is located just before Andy Rosse Lane on Captiva, so you are walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. South Seas Resort would be a little bit further of a walk to the shops and restaurants, but I believe there is a trolley that will take you into the Village, but you do have to wait around for it.

Sunset Captiva is great if you get one on the beachside. They offer two bedroom, two bedroom plus loft and three bedroom town homes. The lower the number the closer to the beach. Units 29-33(ish) put you close to the pool, tennis and beach boardwalk. But also be careful, just because it is a lower number, doesn't necassarly mean you are closer to the beach because there are cul-de-sacs within the property and some units are located on the far end of the cul-de-sac. go through a rental agency like Royal Shell Vacations, they will help you find one that is close to everything.

The Beach Villas are very nice as they are located in the front of the resort, but if you planning to travel anytime within the next three monts or so, there is construction. Some buildings still have construction and then some private condos have interior work going on. Some people are bothered by this.

3. Re: Sunset Captiva - Captiva Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island