We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water conditions in Sanibel

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
12 posts
Save Topic
Water conditions in Sanibel

I had visited Sanibel Island twice several years ago. While visiting in March, the water was beautiful blue and crystal clear. During a visit in the month of August, the water was very brown and not inviting. I was told by our innkeeper the reason for the brown color was due to an unusual amount of rain the island received that month...is their any truth to this? Will the water be blue in August?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water conditions in Sanibel

The water turns brown for several reasons, mostly fresh water releases. But some plants leave the water clean but 'tea' colored, mostly a bayside/sound thing. But with rain, the run off. it then washes that 'tea' color into the Gulf. Happens more in summer than winter.

I was on St John, USVI staying in a house on the Northshore and you could see the murkiness in the water as a brown ring all along the shoreline after a good rain. When you're in the islands during rainy season, it comes with the territory. The run off always goes to the sea.

It's not anything bar, like sewage or algae. It's just dislodged sand, soils and plant material.

Lenordtown, MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water conditions in Sanibel

How is the water currently? How clear will it be late march?

3. Re: Water conditions in Sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2014