We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, Quebec
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

how do I post a warning, or some general advice, on this forum? It keeps asking for a specific activity etc.? Thanks.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

Just post what you want to say in the forums, You can't do a review of road issues.

And yes, getting on and off Ft Myers Beach in season is a nightmare. I do warn people. It's pretty well known to anyone who's spent times in the area in season.

Hudson, Quebec
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

thanks!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

Nightmare is right. I don't go off Island if I don't have to. Get on/off before 8:30 AM and on/off again after 7PM. When Family or Friends fly in they know to have a late flight or take a cab...

N NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

This has been our first visit. It has been great. Our plane leaves at 7:20 pm out of Ft Meyer's this Sunday.. Any recommendations what time we should leave? We've been staying at West Wind, and I have been happy that there is less traffic out this way. We've been caught in Cape Cod traffic, so we know how to be patient. Just need to allow time to get there early enough. Plus I don't want to spend more time than I have to in sealed up airport.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

If it gets too bad go out on the other bridge.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

It's not that hard getting off Sanibel, Min - but I do suggest you follow the Gulf Rd (West, Middle, East, to the stop sign at the Sanibel Inn, the intersection of East Gulf and Lindgren Blvd and the take a left up to the stop sign on Periwinkle. There is usually a traffic cop there in peak hours and you just wait and go straight ahead to the causeway. Much easier than the left off Periwinkle.

Since you'll be leaving on a Sat, most of the traffic will be local, but allow an extra 15-30 minutes driving time. It's nothing like getting around larger, more densely populated Ft Myers Beach and once you're in Ft Myers, it's just the usual heavy traffic and lights. If you rented the car at the airport, drop off is fast and easy and you walk right in.

West Wind has a great location! Glad you're enjoying the stay.

('The Other Bridge' is for Ft Myers Beach. There's only one way on/off Sanibel other than by boat)

Edited: 1:21 pm, February 22, 2013
N NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

Thanks for this info. We have been figuring ways around. And I have to say with traffic cops, it has seemed civilized. We are leaving Sunday, so I thought end of the weekend might be worse.

8. Re: extreme traffic jams on/off the island Fort Myers Beach Fla.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 24, 2014