We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

So we have narrowed it down between 2 condos, one at loggerhead cay, one at pointe santo. We'll be visiting in June for one week with our 3 young kids (all under 5). The 2 units that we're comparing are about same distance to beach and ~ equal in amenities. Was wondering how the experienced folks here would compare the two. If you had to choose, where would you go and why? We'd prefer less crowded beach and pool.

Chicago
Level Contributor
201 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

Loggerhead has a bigger pool, but PS has nicer grounds. The pool and clubhouse are on an "island" in the middle of a lagoon with fish and turtles. PS also has kids crafts for a small fee Mon-Fri.

In June, you shouldn't have to worry about crowded beaches in either location.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

I'd say the beach crowds at either spot wouldn't be bad, but there are likely more folks at Pointe Santo due to the public beach access. The complexes are a similar size, but Pointe Santo has very lush, beautifully landscaped grounds while Loggerhead sicks with simple grass to give unobstructed views to as many units as possible. They do have a very large pool, but I don't think it's heated off season, so ask. Trust me, they cold even in summer. From Loggerhead you can walk to a couple of restaurants easily enough. Pointe Santo is closer to shopping, including Bailey's supermarket and the restaurants on/near Tarpon Bay Rd.

All things being equal, I'd lean toward choosing Pointe Santo, it's just a nicer complex. But Loggerhead would be quieter.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

We love Pointe Santo. It's the best place for kids and the pool is always well heated. The public part of the beach is a bit further down and has never been a problem.

Darien, Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

Loggerhead Cay! The pool is fantastic and the beach is right there, never overly crowded (which it can get at PS with the public beach right there). Loggerhead Cay is also great because you don't have to deal with the island traffic - it's easy to get on and off the island and there are back roads as well so you can avoid traffic on the main road. My family and I always stay in Loggerhead 572, which has bike there for us - a huge cost savings.

Enjoy your trip!

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

I have rented at both Loggerhead and at Pointe Santo and 3 years ago bought a condo at Pointe Santo. Perhaps that says it all! I think it is a much nicer place - and very well run.

Anyone who thinks the beach at Pointe Santo is more crowded has not been to this beach. It is true that there is a public beach not far from Pointe Santo, but it is not a crowded section of the beach ever. And in general, the west end of the island, where Pointe Santo is is much less crowded than the eastern side of the island where Loggerhead is. The pool is definitely bigger at Loggerhead. The grounds are MUCH more beautiful at PS and in general I have found it to be much more friendly. PS is 3 minutes from the grocery store and shops and restaurants. I don't know this about Loggerhead but I have met a ton of people who come back to PS year after year. Tonight I met someone while grilling dinner who is here for 6 weeks and it is his 12th year of doing so. The kids program is another plus for PS. There is a clubhouse and a rec director who runs kids activities every day for ages 4+. The kids love it. She also serves ice cream sodas in the afternoon during the adult swim.

I guess there are different strokes for different folks. My favorite is Pointe Santo,

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

Another owner at PS here - BIAS ALERT!! As above, we saw, we loved, we invested!

If the grounds and overall ambience is very important, Pointe Santo is about the best on the Island- at least among the top 3 or so. Small pool but in June that should not be an issue at all.

Loggerhead is very nice, popular with families and can be a gulf front bargain.

The beach at Pointe Santo is particularly wide and the "public access" beach is a few minutes to the west but I have never experienced anything remotely like a crowd there.

PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback! We were leaning towards PS but decided on Loggerhead Cay, b/c it was more affordable. We are so excited - it couldn't come sooner!! We have only been to Sanibel once before on a day trip and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to stay for a week! Thanks again for the feedback!

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

There ise some bias for PS so I want to say that I found the landscaping at loggerhead to be beautiful--flowering bushes, some palms, probably not the level of landscaping at PS but beautiful none the less...there were a lot of families with young kids there when I visited and the pool was full. You can't beat the location, the beach is very uncrowded.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

We've been visiting the Island for years and have NEVER stayed anywhere except PS, so I cannot compare. We liked it so much that we don't see any reason to try anywhere else. :)

10. Re: loggerhead cay vs. pointe santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2014