We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

I'm trying to plan a beach vacation and have narrowed it down to Sanibel. We will have 2 adults (myself and my husband, both in our early 30's), a 4-year old, and my grandparents (2 adults), who are in their 80's. While my grandparents are active for their age, I would love to find a place that is just steps to the beach. I am also looking for something upscale with 2-3 bedrooms. Any ideas???

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

House rentals on Sanibel ate a 28 day minimum, so I'll go with condos for you.

Pointe Santo A7 from Royal Shell - ground floor and step out of the lanai and it's just a few steps to the beach.

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Pointe-Santo-A7

Golden Beach 4 from Royal SHell - BUT it's a townhome, so stairs will be an issue. Set further back than Pointe Santo in a very quiet area.

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Golden-Beach-4

Shorewood 3 B - with a deeper set back than at Pointe Santo, but a top floor unit with vaulted ceilings. The layout would be good because 2 bedrooms are in the rear one with an en suite. The master is up front and goes directly to the lanai. Would give separation and privacy. I've stayed in one (not this condo) and we enjoyed it. Small complex (11 units) with big condos.

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Shorewood-3B

Sanddollar is a bit further back and the bedding might not work for you, but there are two units that are nicely updated - different agencies.

royalshell.com/vrmgr/…Sanddollar-A302

selectvacationproperties.com/Unit.mvc/…29822

Sandpiper West has nice large units in a great location

selectvacationproperties.com/Unit.mvc/…61109

There are lots of others, but you can see if any of these are like what you're looking for.

Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Thanks for the advice! I've seen many of your posts in the past. While we are looking for a relaxing vacation, we also want to hit as many of the "must see" attractions, restaurants, etc as possible. Recommendations?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Pointe Santo de Sanibel is our favorite complex. There are several large remodeled 3 bedroom condos for rent in the A building which are gulf front. The E building is also gulf front and has some 3 bedroom (2 bedroom with den) condos as well. Condos on the 4th floor have roof top sun decks.

Things to do include going to Ding Darling, Bowman's Beach, and the Lighthouse. You can also rent bikes and have them delivered to your condo then explore the island's beautiful bike paths. But you can also just relax on the beach!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

sanibelandcaptivarentals.net/…

You may find what you are looking for in this unit. The realtor who rents this one has several others available in the same complex as well...all beachfront

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

In addition to AlBeachFan's suggestions

Dolphin cruise on Lady Chadwick with Captiva Cruises

Sunset cruise on Tarpon Bay with Tarpon Bay Explorers

Doing the shops at Periwinkle Place (there's a small playground for your 4 yo)

Watch the sunset at Blind Pass - Captiva side (Turner's Beach parking is TINY, so get there early)

CROW is always worth a visit to learn about wildlife and the Bailey-Matthew's SHell Museum is interesting.

If you and your husband are adventurous, try parasailing up on Captiva with YOLO Watersports

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

I like that website, GrandmaMac. Glad to see they have Captiva Shore condos that disappeared from the other rental sites. I gather you've used them and found them reliable. Good to know.

Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Ok, so I've looked a little more at Captiva and love the fact that they offer private home rentals for a weekly rate. How does Captiva compare to Sanibel? I'm torn between Pointe Santo, where there seems to be a lot of activity to renting a large beach front home on Captiva and inviting more family...I love the looks of Aloha Baby or Saba Winds. Anyone have any experience with private homes on Captiva?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Tourmaline: Re: Kingfisher Vacations

Yes, Tourm, I have used them and found them to be excellent and responsive. They were new to me, too, when I first rented from them, but I learned the owner has actually been in the business on San-Cap for many years.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Saba Winds is very near Blind Pass so you'd be convenient to an area called Santiva where there are 3 restaurants and a convenience store on the Sanibel side of the little bridge. It's a remodeled older home and the owner occasional stays in the house just to the south. It's 2 houses on one lot. He used to rent both sides, but now only rents the north house. He is constantly improving the house and the downstairs apartment is new.

Aloha Baby is up near the village of Captiva and you cross the street (Captiva Drive) to the beach. It a newer home, upscale, on a prized stretch of land where the beach and bay are very close together, so if you walk out the back, there is often a path to the bay and across the street in front sits the beach. You would be walking distance to Captiva Village with a number of restaurants ( some decent, some not) and head south along Captiva Rd and you'll be a Tween Waters Inn with an excellent restaurant - also walking distance.

I often stay on Captiva, but never in those houses (too big for my needs and my budget), though Saba Winds has tempted me sorely. Both have great sunset views and both are near restaurants. Aloha Baby does have the village area, which has some live entertainment, shops, cruises, water equipment rentals, etc., so that area is a plus. I've stayed in the village several times and enjoyed it.

Tough to go wrong with either one.

Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a luxurious condo or private home beach front...

Any knowledge of Sunset Captiva?

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island