We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrived in Sanibel today!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Arrived in Sanibel today!

We arrived today. Weather is perfect...sunny and around 80.

We love Oceans Reach! Condo is beautiful...spotless and exactly as pictured online.

We walked the beach for awhile and then had a late lunch at The Island Cow. I had coconut crusted mahi-mahi on baby greens salad...yum! Santa was out front on his sleigh pulled by dolphins. This was our first time eating there.

We drove up to Blind Pass for the sunset. There were so many pelicans diving for fish and we also saw dolphins swimming back and forth. Great sunset as always.

On the way home we stopped at Jerry's for some snacks and food for the condo. Loved the Christmas decor and macaw and parrot (Jerry Junior) in the big cages. However, we really should have taken out a second mortgage to shop at Jerry's. The prices were outrageous! $8.00 for a half gallon of ice cream! I pay $2 at home. And $6.00 for a pound of butter! Ridiculous. Needless to say, we did not buy too much. The pick up service at the parking lot was nice but still didn't make up for those prices. I think it will be cheaper to eat out.

Tomorrow we are going to bike around the island and perhaps check out Bowman's Beach or maybe Lighthouse Beach. Or maybe Ding Darling. As you can see, plans are flexible at this point. Just enjoying the weather and decompressing, relaxing...just chillin'!

Going to bed soon...was up before 5 today and am absolutely exhausted

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Today we got up to walk the beach at sunrise. We found some more shells. There was a kind of tidal pool that had dozens of live conch shells all over it. I picked one up and the thing inside came out and started throwing punches with its slimy little arms...so now I understand the name "fighting conches".

We had breakfast at the condo and then went to Ding Darling. We drove through in our car. By the way, they will loan you binoculars free. You just leave a credit card (they will tell you that they are going out to lunch with it but they won't). We saw white pelicans, egrets, anhinga, blue heron, cormorants, and a grumpy otter.

Then we drove up to Captiva and had lunch at The Bubble Room. Purely for the surroundings, not the food, which was just OK. Then we went up to the beach at the end of Captiva to check it out. It was a gorgeous beach...soft white sand and the water was clear and like a sheet of glass...not even a ripple.

On the way home we stopped at Bowmans Beach. The water was filled with pelicans...flying around, floating, dive bombing for fish. I have never seen so many pelicans! There were no people in the water, it was all birds (could have been a scene from the Hitchcock movie). From what we were told, that was a little unusual.

Bowman's Beach is lovely and wild, and is perfect if you want the feeling of being on a remote island. However, I do not think it is a good choice for families with young kids. It is a LONG walk from the parking lot to the beach over paths and boardwalks. Even if you had a wagon or a beach stroller for them to ride in, the rest rooms would be a hike back every time they needed to go. Anyone with little kids knows that is NOT good. Especially on a sweltering hot day.

We made a quick stop at Bailey's and then came back to our condo. We took a swim in the heated pool which was nice, and then watched the sunset from the beach. Last sunset on Sanibel :((

Tonight is laundry and packing. We leave for Disney tomorrow!

To be continued on the Disney forum...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Bowman's beach has actually been listed on lists of best beaches for families. The water is shallow for a long way out ( or it was in the past- after recent storms it may have changed) so it is safer for little ones than beaches with a steep drop off.

Pagosa Springs...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

make sure you take your kids to Pinoccio's for ice cream - their Dirty Sand Dollar is the best

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Our last morning in Sanibel we packed up and walked out on the beach one last time. Hate to leave but Mickey beckons.

We asked in the office for breakfast recommendations on our drive, and he suggested First Watch in Ft. Myers. It was very good, and because it was our first time there we got a free breakfast crepe filled with fresh fruit and granola topping...mmm!

Now we are on I-75 on our way to Orlando...just passed Sarasota.

Winifred, I agree that Bowman's Beach is beautiful once you get to it. But as we were trekking there, I was envisioning what it would be like with little kids on that long walk. We take my grandkids to the beach all summer long so it was easy to imagine. Little kids get impatient and tired, they want to be carried, they always have to go to the bathroom (and all at different times)...not to mention all the beach toys and paraphanalia that goes with kids. So I was just thinking of the logistics involved and not just the beach itself. I like to walk out the door and be on the beach!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,424 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Bowman's is a long way/walk. I must admit I started using it once mine were big enough to carry their own stuff ;-)

But it keeps the dunes and marginal areas more pristine so is worth it.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

How far is the walk to Bowmans? in minutes? I haven't been there yet and wanted to go on my next trip.. thanks!

North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Tuliplvr, I recall the walk taking about 10 minutes to get TO the beach. Then if you want to walk further down where it's less crowded add more time.

Carmela,

I really enjoyed your report. We're going to Sanibel in February and I can't wait, so I'm reading stuff in the forum. Glad I saw your report. I'm home recovering from elective surgery so I have lots of time to read.

My Bowman's story...DH and I went there last year (Feb) and stayed to see the sunset, then watched the moon rise over the beach. We got caught up taking pix of the moon and before we knew it it was dark! I think we made that walk back to the car in about 3 minutes flat! Ours was the only car left, and it was so spooky. I was afraid there'd be a locked gate or something and we'd have to wait until morning to get out of there... We got out ok, and still talk about our mini-adventure at Bowman's. And I have some gorgeous pictures of the moonlight shining on the little river that runs behind the beach. Oh, can't wait to go back!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Hi we are in Ft Myers Beach!! What do you recommend for no-seeums??

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

Enjoyed reading about this part of your trip :)

30. Re: Arrived in Sanibel today!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island