We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Sundial

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
751 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Sundial

Hi All! Hubby & I will be staying at Sundial in March. Are there any restaurants/bars within walking distance of resort? How about beachfront places within walking distance? I know there is a restaurant & bar at the resort, but we may want to change it up a bit. Not opposed to driving anywhere, just looking for things to walk to. Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Not much in walking distance except Beachview Steakhouse at the Beachview Golf and Country Club. Open to the public. One of the most forgotten good places to eat. Just a couple of blocks. Full bar. Dinner reservations suggested in season.

Courtney's at the Holiday Inn is the other one, but I had an issue with the previous place there and frankly, never went back.

Other than those two, it's driving distance - or biking.

For waterview, well, there aren't many:

Grandma Dot's at the Sanibel Harbor and Yacht Club - small, very casual, great for lunch, super popular, no reservations, closes early.

Pool bars at Sanibel Inn, Sundial, Casa Ybel, West Wind Inn - generally lunch only

Traditions at Island Inn, Thistle's at Casa Ybel, Olde Captiva House at Tween Waters Inn, and Mad Hatter in the Sanitive (Blind Pass) area all enjoy good sunsets with fine - and expensive - dining. Not sure about views from Normandie at West Wind Inn as it's downstairs from the 'pub'. Some views from Sunset Grill - bistro style at dinner, casual lunch and breakfast with different kitchen workers.

Mucky Duck on Captiva (food has gone downhill, but view is among the best) casual pub style. Live music outside in evenings.

Green Flash - bayfront also on Captiva and mid-range rather sedate, but reliable place.

Canoe & Kayak at Tween Waters for lunch, marina/bay and some Gulf views.

That's about it I think. I could have forgotten one.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
751 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Thanks! That helps a lot! We stayed at the Tween Waters Inn a couple years ago. The food at the Olde Captiva House was very good, but the host was very rude to us. We left & went somewhere else. Same thing at Mucky Duck. The woman "hostess" was so rude we walked out. We had never left a place before because of rudeness of a worker! Thought we would try Sanibel this time. We really were not impressed with Tween Waters.

We rented a condo at Sundial from a private owner. Hopefully all goes well! Thanks again!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Yeah, I've run into bad hostesses at several places. Rude and unprofessional. I am, however, the kind that walks out and I will give the place a bad review. I'll also walk out if a server doesn't bother getting to the table in a timely fashion. I traveled too much over the years to have a huge tolerance for crappy service at expensive restaurants.

Island restaurants often seem to have young people working the hostess position and they just don't have the skills and quickly develop an attitude. And yeah, I had 'attitude' at the Mucky Duck last time too. And they served a frozen breaded fish fillet - some cheap commercial thing that might have been haddock - and passed it off as the high priced 'fresh fried grouper sandwich'. That is something I will NEVER forget - or forgive.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Quick note....Courtneys is now the Starfish Grill, just saw sign yesterday, brand new. Beachview Bistro has a limited menu I believe until 12/15 when new chef and old menu come back.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

I thought Starfish Grill was at Sanibel Inn or is that Seastar? thanks for the update.

Edited: 10:35 pm, November 21, 2012
Sanibel, FL
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Sundial has a resaurant--Beaches. Yes, I saw that Courney's had changed to Starfish Grill--picked up the menu; looks about typical fare. Manager said that restaurant is run by Holiday inn.

A bit longer walk would be Thistle Lodge at Casa Ybel or SeaStar at Sanibel Inn. However, it gets dark early the same as everywhere else so walking after dark may not be the best idea.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

Sea Star Cafe at the Sanibel Inn

Newtown...
Level Contributor
418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

You can also walk up the beach to Coconuts at Casa Ybel... nice pool bar/lunch spot. Enjoy!

9. Re: Restaurants near Sundial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 16, 2013