We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors over Christmas

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA
5 posts
Save Topic
First time visitors over Christmas

I will be a first time visitor ( along with my 90 year old mother and brother over the Christmas holiday week. I expect it will be busy and understand the weather could be cool and unpredictable ( that's relative..I'm from Boston!) . We are all nature lovers, are renting a condo not far from the beach. Would love advice about places to eat, tips on being there for the holiday week , nice drives to take our mother on ( her walking is limited, has a cane) and anything else you can think of. Thank you!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

Do take her on the boat trip out of Tarpon Bay Explorers. There is also a tram thru Ding Darling.

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

My favorite time of the year is to visit Sanibel over Christmas. When you're from the East coast, seeing palm trees wrapped in Christmas lights just is a different experience! And Santa's sleigh at the Island Cow is not pulled by reindeer but....oh, I won't spoil the surprise--just go see for yourself.

If you're there on Christmas Eve, go to the Chapel by the Sea on Captiva for Christmas carols--an outside service with island visitors from all over the world, speaking different languages. You realize it's a small world where we have all gathered for this event we call Christmas. The singing is inspiring and the best Christmas Eve service I've ever been to.

Since we began making a Christmas trip a tradition, I've told my family that if they want to celebrate Christmas with me, they know where to find me--otherwise, we can celebrate when I get back home--LOL

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

The Tarpon Bay cruise is a great choice and so is the Lady Chadwick with Captiva Cruises. She can stay on the lower deck. Also, Jensen's has a pontoon boat that does tours and is easy on/off. Adventures in Paradise out of Port Sanibel Marina also rums cruises using pontoon boats for easy access. They offer free trolley transfer service from various stops on Sanibel to their marina.

A word about the tram tours. I have a very bad knee and the step onto the tram can be quite difficult if you get off in the refuge and go to get back on. When getting on it in the visitor center parking area, you have the added height of the curb to make it easier. I do find hard to get up and down inside the park. See if they'll supply a stool to help get on and off. Depending on mom's height and the length of her legs, she might need it. My spry 90+ yo great aunt managed fairly well, and she was short, but her knees were in good shape (better than mine, which kind of amused her.)

Cambridge, MA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

Great recommendation ...thank you!

Cambridge, MA
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

Again, thank you all for the recommendations ..I am so looking forward to being there. My brother and I will go off on some more physical nature things ( I'll be doing some shelling too) and holiday doings, but we do want share as much as we can with our mother. She is still very spry in mind , but a bit less so in body ( double knee replacements about 5 years ago). Thank you for that extra hint about the trams. And, we will ALL love the carols at the Chapel by the Sea I'm now also very curious about Santa's sleigh at the island Cow!! We will be staying on Buttonwood Lane, which seems a good spot. Thank you again for all your good tips!

6. Re: First time visitors over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 21, 2013