We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late November Advice

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Late November Advice

We are thinking of visiting Sanibel or Captiva right after Thanksgiving. We stayed on Anna Maria Island this summer and absolutely loved it but are thinking of going a little further south so we are able to swim in the gulf and for warmer temps. We are from PA. I feel like we are late in our planning and I am getting overwhelmed. We usually rent a house with a pool but I would be open to a condo. Any advice on where to start or if Sanibel/Captiva would be a good fit for late November? Our family is two adults, two kids ages 8 and 11. I enjoy being close to shops and restaurants. As a family we are pretty active and enjoy nature and exploring.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Late November Advice

House rentals on Captiva are 1 week, so you'd be OK there. The 'best buy' is Captiva Sunset, a group of homes with a nice community pool. AMRC and Royal Shell are the two big house rental companies on Captiva. If going AFTER Thanksgiving, you'll have choices. If going DURING Thanksgiving, no so much.

Sanibel is better for nature and exploring with over half the island protected Wildlife Refuge or conservation land. Safer bike paths too. Plenty of good condo choices, it will just depend on your price range.

Captiva has jet skis, parasailing, kayaks, several cruises, a village area with lively night life, and a Caribbean feel. Sanibel has 24 miles of bike paths, kayaks to get around Ding Darling, great bird watching, lots of excellent restaurants, limited nightlife - though it is more active come Nov. Lots of condos/townhomes in small complexes you can choose from.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Late November Advice

AMRC is a good place to start looking on Captiva. Go to their site here -

http://www.captiva-island.com/amrc/amrc.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on List of Rentals to see what they have. You can sort the list by price, location etc.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late November Advice

Thanks for the advice so far. If I understand correctly, Captiva has more homes where Sanibel has more condos/townhomes. We are planning after Thanksgiving.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late November Advice

Captiva is smaller and you can rent a house for a week, there are also several condo complexes on the island.

Sanibel is the larger of the two, you drive thru Sanibel to reach Captiva. House rentals on Sanibel are monthly. There are multitudes of condos lining the beach on Sanibel, from which to choose.

The week after Thanksgiving will be a great week to be on the islands, tides are low and the holiday crowd will have left. Look at Royal Shell and VIP for condo rentals, you can check VRBO as well.

Miami FL
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late November Advice

I've rented for several years in Sunset Captiva--although the houses don't have individual pools, there is a community pool that's very nice. You will pay less than if you get your own, and still have the benefit. The complex lets you enjoy your own separate house so you aren't right next to/on top of/below your fellow travelers. They are also laid out so as to feel quite private and yet you are super close to the ocean and the pool also has a tennis court and several large gas grills for barbecuing.

If you go to the Royal Shell website there's a map of the complex as part of the pictures for unit 19. The 50+ units are laid out with the lower numbers closer to the pool and beach (units 1-7 are beach front). The higher you go the closer you get to the main road.

I've stayed in units 17, 28 and 33. All are very close to the pool and a very short walk down a boardwalk to the beach. I think I liked 28 best, the master bed was very comfortable and it was nicely set up.

Miami FL
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late November Advice

I've rented for several years in Sunset Captiva--although the houses don't have individual pools, there is a community pool that's very nice. You will pay less than if you get your own, and still have the benefit. The complex lets you enjoy your own separate house so you aren't right next to/on top of/below your fellow travelers. They are also laid out so as to feel quite private and yet you are super close to the ocean and the pool also has a tennis court and several large gas grills for barbecuing.

If you go to the Royal Shell website there's a map of the complex as part of the pictures for unit 19. The 50+ units are laid out with the lower numbers closer to the pool and beach (units 1-7 are beach front). The higher you go the closer you get to the main road.

I've stayed in units 17, 28 and 33. All are very close to the pool and a very short walk down a boardwalk to the beach. I think I liked 28 best, the master bed was very comfortable and it was nicely set up.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Late November Advice

On Sanibel - small condo complexes:

Golden Beach - 4 townhomes with pool in a quiet area of Sanibel with a nature walk nearby. Between Middle and West Gulf Dr. Thru Royal Shell

Shorewood - large, 2 and 3 bedroom condos, some Gulf front, some partial view, others no view. 11 units with nice pool. East End of Sanibel. 2 excellent very large 3 bed/3 bath with roof sundeck available through Royal Shell vacation

Sanya - 2 bedrooms condos with Gulf front pool; 9 units thru Royal Shell and VIP Vacations

Blue Gulf - 5 units, stairs only. Pool. Available thru Royal Shell

Pine Cove - nice, very quiet complex with 16 units on West Gulf; nice pool; secluded feel. Royal SHell

Many also on VRBO at slightly reduced rates. Do ask for discounts.

On Captiva:

Not many reasonably priced beachfront homes, but Stafford Cottage from AMRC is open Dec 1-8 and has a private heated beachfront lap pool. 3 bed/3 bath in small village, so walk to restaurants, shops, etc. Great sunset views.

Island Girl is a classic old beach cottage nicely updated and has open dates all through that period. One house in from beach on private lane with larger heated pool. AMRC

Leaping Lizard and Sea of Green (smallish pool) are also close to beach and good choices open those weeks. Both AMRC

There are 2 bed/2 bath condo and 3 bed/2.5 bath townhomes Gulf front and bayfront (the island is only a few hundred feet wide there) with heated pool. AMRC and Royal SHell

For luxe townhomes, Captiva Beach Villa (4 unit complex with 2 buildings with 2 townhomes each. Pool. Cross street to beach. killer views.

That should help

http://www.captiva-island.com/amrc/capmap.htm

http://www.royalshell.com/

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Late November Advice

"There are 2 bed/2 bath condo and 3 bed/2.5 bath townhomes Gulf front and bayfront (the island is only a few hundred feet wide there) with heated pool. AMRC and Royal SHell" - these units are at Captiva Shores Sorry I forgot to include the complex name

9. Re: Late November Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island