We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Advice

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
765 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Condo Advice

Hi, Looking for a one bedroom condo for 3/2-3/9. It has to be beachfront & have a nice heated pool & pool area. A pool bar would be a plus! i know it is peak time & prices will be up there. Don't want to spend a fortune if we can help it! Thanks!

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Advice

Suzy....there are loads of condos that are beachfront....and I do believe that the time you are wanting to rent will be peak season. One complex on here that gets good feedback is Oceans Reach. But, I see that you would like a pool bar. For a pool bar, I would consider Casa Y'bel. To find available accomodations, you can look at VIP of Sanibel, Remax, Royal Shell, Sanibel Accomodations, VRBO and of course the Sanibel Island Chamber of Commerce. Most if not all condo properties have heated pools. It is the pool bar that usually isn't there but will be at West Wind Inn, Tween Waters on Captiva, Holiday Inn on Sanibel. You may find that prices will be all over the place....but, you may also find that availability could be difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
2,131 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
765 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Advice

Thanks for the recommendations! Pool bar is not a necessity. A nice pool area is much more important! Something close to restaurants would be nice too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Advice

There are some appealing one bedroom condos at Sandalfoot and their pool area is very nice. Most units can be viewed right on the Sandalfoot website, but a little searching may take you to private listings by owners and a bit of a discount if you book through them directly.

If you don't mind a larger resort, check out several attractive one bedroom units at Sundial posted on vacationrentals.com.

Ocean's Reach condos are great favorites...and for good reason, but they are not inexpensive during peak season. A few private owners rent their one BR units at around $2,000 per week, but the "standard" rate is closer to $2400 through the resort booking service.

Casa Ybel has a gorgeous pool and an outdoor beverage service, but again, not likely to be especially budget friendly during the month of March.

Edited: 5:18 am, October 03, 2012
Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Advice

start searching now for a unit to rent. There are loads and there are some beauties out there. I have found that "usually" the nicest and the best priced units get booked first. Alot of folks will re-book upon checking out....but, have a look around. I am sure that you can come up with something that suits your wallet and will appeal to your taste. As you just mentioned, a pool bar is something that you would like, but not neccessary. You can rent a unit and make your own drinks for pool side. Honestly, Sanibel is not known for a "party atmosphere"

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
765 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Advice

Thanks for the info. We like Pointe Santo & Sundial. I have read that Sundial has added condo fees & such. Can someone clarify that & if everyone is required to pay them? Which one is nicer & in a better location? Thanks!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo Advice

If you rent thru Sundial, the amenities are included, so no extra fees, aside from kids activities and food. If you rent thru an owner, at Sundial, you can choose whether or not to pay the amenities fee - if you do pay, you have access to all areas of the resort. If you do not, you have access to your condo pool and a few tennis courts - but not the main pool area.

I am not a fan of Sundial owned units, they are plain vanilla, basic and need updating. Just my opinion. If I wanted to stay there again, I would rent thru an owner, possibly buy a 3 day pass for my kids to use the amenities. We feel like we had a nice time there, but spent a lot of money on food and kids activities and our condo was sorta gross.

Both Sundial and PS are in great locations, you really can't go wrong on location on Sanibel.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
765 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo Advice

Thanks sunny! We are leaning toward PS, but I definitely would rent through a private owner if we did go with Sundial. We have no kids coming, so no worries about that. I guess I would just suck it up & pay the fee. Still looking!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo Advice

If you choose a private rental at Sundial, ask the owner what is included - there may be no reason to pay the amenity fee. It seems to me that the resort opened up the restaurants to everyone recently, but I haven't checked to see if that is right.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo Advice

I believe you are correct, Sunny. I recall seeing the announcement re: opening the restaurants to the general public again...that was a couple of weeks ago.

Edited: 3:34 pm, October 03, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo Advice

Pointe Santo is a great home base for a first visit to Sanibel (unless you are looking for small complex and few people). Many visitors return there year after year. The grounds are quite appealing. There are a few 1 BR units there. The majority are two BR and they tend to vary in price based on proximity to the Gulf. The only "drawback" some people mention is that their pool is on the small side given the number of units, but that was never a problem for us when we stayed there. After all...the whole Gulf is just a few steps away!

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel
Sanibel
Sanibel Island, FL