We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling in May

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Shelling in May

I haven't been to Sanibel in close to 4 years.

I'm vacationing there in May and am really excited about it. I heard that the recent hurricanes blew down the Australian pines and really messed up shelling. Can anyone enlighten me? Is the shelling normally good in May? We've always come in June and July before and found lots of nice shells.

I'm coming anyway, come what may! Thanks.

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling in May

The Australian Pine trees being "blown down" had no effect whatsoever in the shelling (if that's what you meant). The hurricanes actually made the shelling better than ever! So come on down and shell to your heart's content!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling in May

I general, shelling is best in the winter months when the prevailing winds shift, but I've been down almost every month at one time or another and had good shelling. And the storms and beach renourishment up on Captiva brought up lots of shells. So if June and July were your previous stays, May should be just as good. Enjoy yourselves!

Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling in May

Thanks for the info. No, I didn't mean that the downed Australian pines "messed up" the shelling. I guess I should have said,"and also the shelling was messed up." We like the little fallen cones from the pines so that's why I was asking about the pines.

Please tell me more about the beach renourishment.

Thanks again.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling in May

Beach renourishment happened up on Captiva last fall. It really stirs up the water and also the new sand is full of shells that have been buried. Been a good year for ones you won't normally find, like large horse conchs which are rarely found outside deeper water. Between the storms shifting the sand bars and the beach project, shelling reports have been really good. You should be very pleased - and be sure to try your luck up at Blind Pass/Turners Beach as well as the Lighthouse and Bowman's.

I know what you mean about the little pine cones. I always picked them up for my great aunt who did crafts with the shells. Perfect size. You may find very few, but Lighthouse and Bowman's would be the places to look.

Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling in May

Thanks Tourmaline for all the good info. I'll forward it to my sister. She and her daughter are the shelling masters. I can't walk as far as they do so I generally sit down and look for the tiny shells! I have an eye for sharks teeth but haven't really looked for them at Sanibel. I lived near Jekyll Island and there were tons of them there.

Three years ago,my niece found some really large horse conchs at the Lighthouse. But as I said I really like the little ones.My brother found a rare shell on his first and only trip so far. I think it was some kind of Murex that's it from some other country...don't exactly remember.

I would love to find a china plate shard from

the Atocia fleet. Have you ever found anything

like that? Or even better a gold coin!!!!

By the way, I am the great aunt in my family

(also the great,great aunt) that uses the little pinecones for crafts!!!

Enjoyed messaging with you.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling in May

Auntie - You sound just like my great aunt!!!! I'd get a beach chair for her and park her by one of the big shell patches and haul up more for her to go through. I rather like the little ones myself. My great aunt celebrated her 94th birthday by taking a private charter with me up to North Captiva and Cayo Costa. Got lots of sand dollars up there.

I must admit - those beach chairs are looking really good to me now and I have a 'what-a-chair' that collapses and fits in a shoulder bag that I love. Keep it in the car trunk when I'm there.

Enjoy!!! PS - Steinbeck and I are two die hard shellers on this board. She may have some info too.

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island