We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining/shopping locations

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
dining/shopping locations

I'm still trying to figure out where I will be staying on Sanibel. Is there an area that is more accessible to dining and shopping than others. I'm interested in being able to walk for lunch and maybe dinners without driving. Is it even feasible to stay on Sanibel without a car? Currently looking at Casa Ybel and Sanibel Inn - is one a better location than the other. thanks

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dining/shopping locations

If you like REALLY long walks, I guess it's possible, but you'd be better off with a bike. Sanibel Inn is right on the east end and near some restaurants and has a good one right at the Inn, Ellington's.

Casa Ybel is a little more removed, but once on Periwinkle, there are more restaurants and a supermarket. At Sanibel Inn you'll be well removed from and supermarket, but near several convenience stores/delis.

Either one is a decent location for bike access to places. Sanibel is a bike riders delight with over 20+ miles of bike paths. Both are a bit of a stretch for walk as most restaurants and shops are in the center of the island not near the beach. I might lean ever so slightly toward Sanibel Inn.