We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Planning Travel from Airport

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help in Planning Travel from Airport

I will pick up my rental car at RSW around 8:30AM on Saturday, March 25th (probably the busiest week of the season) and I had planned to drive out to Sanibel and get settled in my condo. I then intended to drive back to RSW to meet my son and his family when their flight arrives at 7:30PM.

After reading some of the causeway construction updates and general comments about heavy traffic in the area I am wondering if this plan is reasonable. Would I be wiser to just "hang out" in Fort Myers and wait for my guests to arrive or does the original plan of driving back and forth sound workable?

Thanks, in advance, for any first-hand opinions on this.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in Planning Travel from Airport

Hi GrandmaMac! Hope you have a great trip! I tend to 'hang out' in book stores, like Barnes & Noble. There is one on Tamiami Trail S, just south of the intersection where Daniels Pkwy turns into Cypress Lake. Don't know if it's freestanding or in a mall there, as I don't hang in that specific one!

Hopefully Sue can tell what the causeway traffic is like these days.

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in Planning Travel from Airport

GrandmaMac: I would plan on hanging out in your condo, then maybe leave the island around 6pm to head back to the airport. The traffic on the causeway is not too bad once you get on the causeway, the trick is getting around the traffic on Periwinkle. I don't know where your condo is, but you can just take the Gulf Drives (West, Middle, East) to avoid Periwinkle. Believe it or not, sometimes going all the way down East Gulf Drive where it meets back up with Periwinkle, then coming back to the causeway exit, saves ALOT of time. The causeway traffic because of the construction has not been any worse then it was before there was construction going on. Hope all this helps!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in Planning Travel from Airport

Tourmaline and Sue2ms:

Thank you both. I think I will combine your ideas. I had been imagining two hours or more each way given that this is a prime "spring break" week Saturday venture. With the information you provided I feel more comfortable planning to go out to Sanibel and get settled. Then I will head back toward RSW and stop and browse a bit at B&N if all goes smoothly. Thanks, again...you are both such wonderful resources!

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island