We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Damage?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hurricane Damage?

We are scheduled for our 2-week vacation on Sanibel Island in March 2005. We've heard so much about the devistation from the hurricanes last year. Can anyone give me an accurate account of things really are on Sanibel?

Fowler, Indiana
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Damage?

I am also interested in the hurricane damage at the beach. Is there sand?

bag
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Damage?

Sanibel is doing great! Yes there are resorts and complexes still closed because repairs are going very slow every where

but most repairs do not hinder renters. Sanibel is missing vegetation but even that is only noticable in certain areas.

The beaches were never harmed, they are as beautiful as ever and full of shells.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Damage?

just returned from visiting my folks who live on sanibel...and although the hurricane damage ws severe..sanibel is on a fast track of recovery..some resorts still fixing...lots of loss of those great Australian Pines...but the beaches and most major things are back in order...captiva was more devastated..do not worry about your vacation...the shops and reataurants and beaches

are still great

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Damage?

Just returned last night from Sanibel. Restoration efforts are coming along nicely. We, too, are going back down in March and eagerly looking forward to it.