We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trolley, Bus, other public transport

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
673 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Trolley, Bus, other public transport

Have seen a few mentions of some sort of trolley service (said from a mall out to one of the beaches you could park and ride to avoid having to hunt for parking when the lot fills up at the beach) and was wanting more information. I'm on a borrowed computer, and though I googled up a website for a trolley service in the area, the maps won't pull up on this computer for some unknown reason.

My specific question:

We're looking at Candlewood Suites Gateway tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34230-d1197195… , Residence Inn Fort Myers Sanibel tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34230-d1391… , or perhaps cottage on Sanibel. Would we be able to use trolley or bus to get around during our stay? The hotels show shuttle service from the airport on their websites, so if there is some public transport we could skip the expense of a rental car.

Thank you for your replies.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trolley, Bus, other public transport

Ft.. Myers Beach has a beach trolley. Adventures in Paradise, a company that has fishing and sightseeing water trips, has a trolley that will take you from your hotel or condo on Sanibel to their boats on the Ft. Myers side of the bridge. There is really no public buses, trolleys or anything like that on Sanibel. It does have a taxi service.

England
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trolley, Bus, other public transport

No public transport on Sanibel, you definitely need a car to get around. As for the lots filling up that depends on when you are thinking of going. I doubt you will have a problem between now and the end of October. A point to note is that it will cost you $2 per hour to park.

The only mention I could find of the Trolley was one that operates 3 times a day between Sanibel harbour resort /spa and all stops to Doc Fords on Sanibel. It's a pure tourist attraction.

www.adventuresinparadiseinc.com/trolley

Best bet would be to stay on Sanibel and if it's sometime soon there will most likely be plenty of cut rate offers.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trolley, Bus, other public transport

I believe Adventures in Paradise discontinued the tourist trolley that was mentioned.

4. Re: Trolley, Bus, other public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 24, 2011