We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic stay for adults

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
62 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic stay for adults

Where would be a good place to stay in the area that wouldn't have a lot of screaming kids? Looking to go in May. Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic stay for adults

May is a great month for Sanibel. Try the cottage colonies and smaller condo complexes. Cottage colonies are small and some are adults only. They are mostly modest, but comfortable, places to stay. A few are very nice and privately owned (like White Caps - which has no pool). Mitchell's, Castaways (which has one of the best locations), Forty Fifteen, The Palms, Seahorse, Shalimar, Beachview, Seahorse, etc. Some of the smaller inn type resorts have a mix of accommodations like condos and cottages, like Waterside and Tween Waters. There are also some very nice inns that cater more to couples. Do check location as a few are very nice but not directly on the beach - usually a short walk away.

For a complete list go to www.sanibel-captiva.org, the chamber of Commerce website. Cick of Where to stay and then on Samll Inns, Cottages and Motels They have links to the lodging websites most of which have interior views of cottages as well as the property.

White Caps has some very nice cottages, but the complex has no pool. See sanibelweb.com/sanrentals.htm and a direct from owner site vrbo.com/23973, for what has to be one of the most upscale cottages on the island.

Houses on Captiva offer more space, most have private pools, are very quiet and have all you could want - but also come at a steep price. The CofC website has links for rental agencies that offer Captiva houses as well. Generally I rent up there myself as I like Captiva, which is even quieter than Sanibel.

To stay away from kids, avoid Sundial, South Seas Plantations, Casa Ysbel and Pointe Santo. All have kids programs and are well suited to families.

Boston, MA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic stay for adults

I most certainly would reccommend the Tarpon Tale Inn. Small, romantic especially the hot tub and very private. Ask for a room in the back. You won't be sorry.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic stay for adults

ThreeDog,

If you could post some other requirements, we might be able to narrow it down for you. Like, do you want a hotel, condo, cottage or house? Is a pool necessary? Do you want gulf/beach-front lodging? Is the price a factor?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic stay for adults

Gulf Beach is another nice property located on East Gulf Drive with only 10 units in the property. Quiet and small and has a heated pool. All the units are on the beach so they all have great views. White Caps are nice, but there is no pool. try and get into number 8, it is the closest to the beach.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic stay for adults

Also take a look at Jensen's on Captiva Island, a quieter island than Sanibel. Jensen's has both condos and beach homes and you can walk to their marina, a block away and on the batside of Captiva. I generally rent up on Captiva now. (If you haven't been - You access the island from Sanibel via Blind Pass Bridge, not via boat as with North Captiva, aka Upper Captiva.) They're on the web as Jensens-Captiva. A very small, quiet choice. Good restaurants a short distance (you can walk it if you like) away in the village.