We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel island color of water

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MICHIGAN
5 posts
Save Topic
Sanibel island color of water

I'm staying at the west wind inn on west gulf drive in about a week i would want to know if the water is brown on that part on the island and also in fort mryes beach area . thank you

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanibel island color of water

Just an FYI: Water color can change very quickly based on amount of rainfall and water coming down the Caloosahatchee, so if the water is one color today, that doesn't guarantee it will be the same in a week.

Tampa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanibel island color of water

Yes, the water color can change from day to day. During the 10 days I was there from Jul 20th - Jul 30th it ranged from very tannic brown to just ugly. The Ockechobee is still in flood stage and SWFWMD (Southwest Florida Water Management District) is still draining Ockechobee down the Calooshatchee River into the bay at Sanibel. They say the worst drainage will start in October, but I can tell you it was bad in late July. Out of our 10 day stay, we didn't have 1 day where the water was pretty. We just had some days where the water wasn't as bad as other days.

Tampa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanibel island color of water

I should have mentioned that I was staying at the SandDollar condos which is about a mile from the West Wind. We took walks down the beach and passed the West Wind a few times. The water was no better, no worse than at the SandDollar.

Irv

MICHIGAN
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanibel island color of water

Tahnk you for all of your info.

MICHIGAN
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanibel island color of water

thank you

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanibel island color of water

The water in the summer on Sanibel is not usually the clear blue destin type of water. It is the rainy season & the mangroves produce a tea like color to the water. The water gets more clear as you move towards Captiva.

The area is so much better than Destin that the water is usually not a topic of discussion.

It usually takes 2 days for the water to settle after a big downpour. The draining of the lake has caused some unusually different water.

From what I understand the red tide is in the area North of the island. If it is affecting your area of the beach, usually there will always be another beach area that you can use that is not affected or affected as much.

Enjoy your stay! Sanibel is beautiful! Don't worry about the water......if it is affected in front of West Wind then go to Captiva it is usually always blue/green

Here is a beach cam for Captiva in front of Tween Water Inn

tweencam.tween-waters.com/twcam/twcam.html

Tampa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanibel island color of water

It's sad to tell people the water is fine at Sanibel. The water is tanic brown and smells due to the run off from Lake Ockechobee. To tell anyone different is to lead them astray.

The only people who would do this are people who have a profit motive to get people to sanibel regardles of the water.

Pinellas county is doing the same thing even though the red tide is worse than it's ever been. When people make reservations, the hotel staff keeps their mouth shut unless the people ask about the red tide. Then they'll tell them it could go away at any time.

Unfortunately, the Gulf coast of FL is in bad shape.

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanibel island color of water

Listen Irving.... I have nothing to profit....I don't own a place in Sanibel or a business. I've been traveling there for over 30 years. In the summer for the last 12 years with kids in school. Yes, the water turns a tea color when it rains excessively! Yes, when they Lowered the Lake level you had a problem! Usually it does settle in 2 or 3 days.

The summer is the off season & those are the risks you take.....along with hurricanes. The price is much less, and out of the 12 years we have only had 2 years of excessive rains. This year being one of them

There have been posts saying that they do not know what you are talking about, they were there the same time as you, and they did not smell anything & the color of the water was not as bad as you posted.

I posted a link for people to see the water color. Captiva is always more clear and that is an option if people are traveling during a time when they drain the lake.

I'm sorry you are so bitter about Sanibel. On one hand I do appreciate you keeping the tourist to a minimum by scaring them! However, it is not fair to the business owners!

MICHIGAN
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanibel island color of water

hi steinbecke should i belive what irving is posting about the color of the water by sanibel island . i have spoke to other people they say the water is fine now but about a month ago the water was brown due to the lake being drained . i'm going to sanibel in about a week and i don't want to see brown water because i have never see the ocean so i'm worried it will be brown i hope it won't be .

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanibel island color of water

TAP75

In all fairness, the water color on Sanibel can vary during the summer months depending on rainfall and a whole lot of other factors. The lake drawdowns have stopped for now, but Sanibel is a mangrove island and that's the way they are in warm, rainly weather - tannins spread and tint the water tea color. Should you encounter the tannic water, which is prefectly safe, just do as Steinbecke suggested and go up to Bowman's Beach, Blind Pass or Turner's Beach on Captiva. I've vacationed in summer a number of times (including all of July last year just before Charley) and it has never really bothered me.

Sanibel water is Gulf water and is rather sandy all year round which also affects its apparent color. The Gulf in this area is shallow with lots of sand bars near the barrier islands and doesn't look like the real ocean on the Atlantic side, which sits on the continental shelf and gets very deep very fast. If you want, you can go down to Lovers Key State park south of Ft Myers Beach and try the beach there as well. It is a beauty. Don't go north due to red tide issues.

And speaking of red tide, it spreads as water heats and the algae bloom. They watch and test water carefully to monitor the progress. It has been a tough year between Pinellas Co and the north part of Lee Co. Red tide is unpredicatble.

These are the problems that can crop up time to time in any of the ocean/gulf locations. Hopefully, you're vacation will be fine and unaffected by the water problems, whatever they may or may not be at that time.