We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Sanibel swimming advice

N.J.
12 posts
Save Topic
Need Sanibel swimming advice

I've read about the "Sanibel stoop" and the "stingray shuffle",is there a certain way to approach the waters of Sanibel for a simple swim? (Up here in N.J. we boldly run and dive into the waves.) Also, are there any unusual or especially beautiful swimming spots?

N.J.
12 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Need Sanibel swimming advice

Thanks for all the info everyone.I also found the forum on the best of Sanibel and Captiva site to be helpful.I can't wait to go on my trip!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need Sanibel swimming advice

Just got back from a ten day trip. We especially liked the shells and swimming at the beach just before going over the bridge to captiva. We swam there every day and did not see sting rays. Hubby snorkeled and I collected shells and swam. Did see sharks and sting rays late afternoon at Bowman Beach though. The beach next to Mucky Duck in Captiva looked beautiful. We went kayaking in the bay and saw manatees and dolphins, it was wonderful.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need Sanibel swimming advice

Just got back from a ten day trip. We especially liked the shells and swimming at the beach just before going over the bridge to captiva. We swam there every day and did not see sting rays. Hubby snorkeled and I collected shells and swam. Did see sharks and sting rays late afternoon at Bowman Beach though. The beach next to Mucky Duck in Captiva looked beautiful. We went kayaking in the bay and saw manatees and dolphins, it was wonderful.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Need Sanibel swimming advice

The beach you liked was Blind Pass/Turner's Beach and is one of my favorites for shelling! Glad you enjoyed you trip.

Tampa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need Sanibel swimming advice

Jersey Mom, the best Sanibel swimming advice I can give you is stay out of the water... at least until they stop draining lake Ockochobee into Sanibel bay and the water around Sanibel has a chance to clear up.