We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel beach water is brown

Tampa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sanibel beach water is brown

I just got back from 10 days in Sanibel. (7/20/05 - 7/30/05)

When we first crossed the bridge to the island, we noticed the normally pristine, aqua-blue colored water looked more like dark river water. When we got to our condo on Middle Island beach, we noticed the water on the beach was actually a tannic brown color and smelled like sulfur.

We found out the Army Corp of Engineers is draining Lake Okeechobee into the Caloosahatchee River which drains into the bay at Sanibel. It was horrible. The locals told me the Okeechobee is overflowing and they had no choice in the matter. This Lake Okeechobee drainage could last for at least a year depending on rainfall.

The accomodations were nice and the restaurants were great, but it is a horrible place for a beach vacation.

I only wish someone would have warned me before I booked my vacation.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Sanibel beach water is brown

sorry i wasn't seeing things nor colorblind, i have pictures.

but considering you DID NOT see it beacuse it was at dusk, well that really says it all now doesn't it?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Sanibel beach water is brown

also you can go to the tween waters website and see the webcam and the water is beautiful. so to make some statement that some posters are blind or dreaming is nothing more than someone trying to pick a fight or worse venting because they were so disapointed with the beach and water color.

don't be detered by some of the negative comments about the water everyone. the water was a brownish red color but it did not last long and where I was the water did not smell at all nor did i hear anyone complain about the smell.

i have been to the keys, carribean and destin many times and the water on captiva looked close to those places and was much diifferent than Sanibel.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Sanibel beach water is brown

I should also point out that the beaches are tested weekly for water quality, and if there was something seriously wrong with the water, there would have been advisories issued.

I would suggest that anyone planning a vacation to anywhere spend some time reading the local paper and/or local Web sites. The lake drainage and other water quality-related issues are covered exhaustively in the Fort Myers paper, The News-Press.

It's unfortunate that anyone's vacation would be spoiled by something being not as expected, but nature (or man's interference with same) doesn't always cooperate.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sanibel beach water is brown

Arguments about water color aside, and whether or not it has anything to do with water quality, keep and eye on the red tide. Go to the website below and keep an eye on the problem as it is far more significant than the tanins that color the water in some areas around Pine Island Sound and San Carlos Bay.

floridamarine.org/features/view_article.asp…