We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to shell hunt?

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
619 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to shell hunt?

Like many who go to Sanibel, I love to hunt shells.

Any recommendations on what beaches or areas are best for shelling?

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

The location changes all the time. The time of year, tides, and the wind direction determines the rolling in of the shells. Storms and drops in temperature are also factors.

Many say their place is "the best"

I think persistance and shelling with the Tides. It is a "Job" finding lots of great shells! Peeking doesn't work most days.

Enjoy!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

I do love the hunt, being from Texas and spending time at Texas beached and Florida panhandle beaches where there aren't tons of shells, I'll be pretty excited to find any interesting shells.

New York
Level Contributor
340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

BeachbumAggie, I've had good luck off West Gulf Drive - from like Tarpon Bay Rd. down towards Bowmans Beach.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

East Gulf Drive in front of Sundial at low tide. Shelling there has always been great. Parking may be a problem. Park at Gulf Side City Park (I think that is the name) I believe the entrance is on Middle Gulf Dr. When you walk onto the beach, go left and walk about 1/2 mile (maybe alittle more) Shelling all along there is usually very good!

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

East end area near the family condo vacation resorts like Sandalfoot, Sanibel Moorings and Sanibel Arms West has excellent shelling. Park at the lighthouse and walk back.

Look in my profile for a photo show of that shelling one December.

6. Re: Best Place to shell hunt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 22, 2009