We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

Hey all - I’ve been following the weather app on my phone for days now and every day it shows a cloud with rain. Yet - it’s not raining!!! Might be a shower here or there some days - but not full on all day rain - so just a word of advice - look at the beach cams instead - don’t go by the weather app. Or look at the weather radar to see what time a shower will roll through and out so you can enjoy your vacation! I’ve always heard about the “Destin bubble” and it seems to be true - weather seems to skirt around this area! Just FYI.

4 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

It's rainy season in Florida -- daily rains are the norm this time of year.

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
324 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

The storms tend to skirt around the immediate coastline in general, not just in Destin. The summer afternoon storms that create those rain chances on a weather app aren't associated with a front; they're generated by the land heating up faster than the water as the day goes on. It's not foolproof, but the storms form a little ways inland from the beach, rather than on the beach itself, more often than not.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

This was so true for our recent stay. The storms were usually inland and the one day we thought it would rain at the beach, we walked to the Beach House for lunch and it barely sprinkled.

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
324 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don’t be scared off by rain forecast

I'm glad it worked out for you. Florida in general, but especially the coast, has such an unpredictable weather pattern. It is extremely common to be on a perfect, blue-sky, sunny beach and watch hellfire being unleashed over the dunes.

Reply to: Don’t be scared off by rain forecast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sandestin