We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Desoto Camping

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Desoto Camping

Thinking of camping at Fort Desoto for Spring Break (April), any thoughts? We usually go to Long Key State Park (near Key West), but was looking for somewhere different. We camp in a tent, have two kids (10 & 13). We just enjoy soaking up the sun, bike riding, kayaking, etc. - would this be somewhere you would recommend? At Long Key you camp right on the beach, are the sites here nicely next to the beach?? Any info would be great, THANKS!!!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

Everything you need should be right here:

http://www.fortdesoto.com/servlets/Page/home

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

I have done tons of research on the net, but would like to hear from anyone who has been there. Sometimes what you see on line can be deceiving. Thanks.

Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

Haven't stayed there in a few years, but know that everything at Ft. DeSoto is well maintained. April is a great time of year but very busy touristy time of year, the weather is usually near perfect. You are close enough to St. Pete Beach groceries/eating etc but far enough for peace and quiet. You would have to try real hard not to enjoy the area. You can kayak through the mangroves, spot dolphins, take long bike rides (bike paths go on forever) fish and soak up lots of sun.........Their website is a great help.....the campsites are on the water but the beach/water is alittle brackish, the better beaches are a short bike ride away.....the campsites are still nice and there is a boat ramp there if you need.....hope this was helpful

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

We have friends that camp there all the time and they love it. And like the last writer said, it is beyond clean, maintained, and beautiful. That area consistently ranks as one of the country's best beaches!! You can do all the activities you want: bike, blade, kayak (yes, they rent them there), fishing, walking, jogging, you name it. Plus, the park itself is this neat old Spanish fort that's pretty neat to check out. I believe there are sites right near the beach, but you should probably try to reserve them as far out in advance as you can as they do fill up fast.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

We don't camp (mom had enough of tents after eight years as a girl scout) -- but I can vouch for the park enthusiastically -- we are a little over an hour's drive away, and it's worth every minute of it. We regularly have beach parties there for friends and sports teams, because it's clean, well-maintained, and has loads of things to do.

We do have a number of friends who camp at DeSoto regularly -- and they live here. They always talk about how much fun they have, and are constantly planning the next trip over.

Make sure you reserve far in advance -- spaces go quickly....

this is the official website, by the way:

www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

Have fun!

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

We just camped there last weekend and had a great time. Very beautiful. We were in a pop up and over on the side for pop ups and rvs but both sides are great. You can reserve a site on line. Sites 1 through 85 probably where you'll want to go (can handle up to and including a pop up).

There are lots of raccoons - don't disregard the warnings. Squirrels are virtually tame. Camp store is cash only and doesn't sell cigarettes. Lots of good bathroom/shower facilities. Plenty of hot water for showers. Very clean all through out . Tons of kids on bikes.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

FYI, the Fort at Ft. DeSoto Park is from the Spanish-American War Era, building began in 1898 and continued thru 1907 by the US gov't.

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

btw, I have yet to see anything on the web that adequately communicates how beautiful this camp is. I really can't see how you could be disappointed. (You had sounded skeptical of your research).

orlando
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

GO! What a phenomonal place. We just returned from our first visit and can't wait to get back. The beaches, playgrounds, bike trails, and nature trails are superb, clean, well patrolled. The campgrounds are clean and well organized, with three areas. One for tents and smaller campers, one for the biggest rvs, and one for all with pets. Greatest camping experience we've ever had.

Port Richey, FL
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Desoto Camping

We go a few times a year and love it! We are only 2 hours away. I love the site we get because the bathroom/shower is literally right in front of us and so is the gulf!! There is so much to do kayake the whole day for $50 or bikeride for 4 for $30 for an hr I believe. Also, the pier is really pretty, love to fish! My daughter learned to bike ride there with no training wheel very smooth trails :) Also you can see dolphins near the campsite store early morning........