We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

california
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Topic
Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

hi

While staying in Clearwater, were hoping to find a breakfast spot to stop on our way down to Sarasota. I noticed a place called Skidders, but find no web site. Is it on the water, or with a view? Is it nice for breakfast. Looking for a variety of pancake and egg items. ANy other recommendations along that route down to Sarasota? Thanks for the help

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

As I recall, Skidders is on the main drag in St Pete's Beach without a water or gulf view. We had an enjoyable but not fabulous dinner there last January. I don't know about breakfast.

If you're thinking of stopping in St Pete Beach, we had the best food of our St PB trip at the Starlite Diner. It's also on the main drag in St PB.

Starlite Diner

5200 Gulf Blvd

Saint Pete Beach, FL 33706-2428

Further south, we liked the Gulf Drive Cafe on Anna Maria Island. It's been a few years since we've been there and may have changed owners, but it was right on the beach.

Gulf Drive Cafe

900 Gulf Drive

Bradenton Beach, FL 34217

There are probably reviews of these two places and others elsewhere on Trip Advisor.

Enjoy!

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

The Starlite Diner has been closed for quite some time. Skidder's is across the street from the beach so it doesn't have any view. In fact, I'm not sure that place is there anymore either. Most of the restaurants that are right on the beach are more lunch/dinner/bar type places, so you're best bet might be one of the resort hotels. However, St. Pete Beach isn't really "on the way" to Sarasota from Clearwater. Of course if the fastest route isn't the most important thing to you, it will make for a lovely detour.

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

I beg your pardon - I was thinking of the Pelican Diner, a similar place that used to be on the beach Starlite Diner is till there. Sorry!

St Petersburg
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

You might try Skyway Jack's. It would be on your way. Here is a review I found elsewhere on Tripadvisor.

Traveler rating:

Saint Petersburg: Skyway Jacks: "Brains, scrapple, and sausage, oh my!"

Sep 2, 2006: A TripAdvisor Member, Tampa Bay, Florida

Skyway Jacks is greasy-spoon diner that a lot of locals love and visitors often miss. Located in south St. Petersburg, the huge plastic chicken and pig out front are the first of many unusual elements to this very unusual place. You’ll have to suspend your liberal, feminist sensibilities in order to enjoy the waitresses’ “fried egg” t-shirts and the many off-color stickers and poster by the register. Jacks is open for breakfast and lunch only, but the whole menu is available any time of day. The food is cheap and good (Trip Advisor’s average $20 price is way off- it’s more like $6 per person). Favorites include all manner of pork (brains, scrapple, sausage, etc.), pancakes with many fruity variations, and hot lunch specials for $5-$6 that can’t be beat (turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, 2 vegetables and a biscuit for instance). The homemade spaghetti sauce beats the Italian restaurant down the road by far. Poached eggs and hash are always perfect. I eat here every Thursday for lunch with my co-workers (collards and black-eyed peas are the Thursday vegetables of the day) and the crowd ranges from sweaty, stinky fisherman to men in business suits.

5. Re: Skidders restaurant for breakfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 19, 2009